+ Reply to Thread

Default changing stain color on an antique piece

I would like to change the color of an antique piece of furniture (wood and glass cabinet). My husband is afraid it could lessen the value of the piece. Any idea if changing the stain color (or painting) an antique could change it's value? Thanks!

Default Re: changing stain color on an antique piece

Modifying any antique in a significant way (like sanding it down and refinishing it with a different stain colour or repainting it) will significantly diminish it's value.

It's so often that people with the best of intentions ruin valuable antiques by refinishing them or having them refinished.

Default Don't feed the trolls

mmmK?
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by questionqueen View Post
    I would like to change the color of an antique piece of furniture (wood and glass cabinet). My husband is afraid it could lessen the value of the piece. Any idea if changing the stain color (or painting) an antique could change it's value? Thanks!
    After watching "Antiques Road Show" for too many years, I heard a loud deep voice which said "Thou shalt not alter an antique in any way if one wishes to retain it's value". If you're still feeling compelled to change colors or finishes, sell the thing to someone who appreciates it, and get something else whose value won't be affected by refinishing.

Have you had the piece appraised recently? If you have and it is worth a lot of money and it is just the finish that is looking old or worn you should leave it as is. People these days pay a lot of money for that antique look. Go to a furniture store and you will see a lot of new furniture that is distressed and painted to look old.

If the piece is not worth a lot and is not a special rare piece and you have no intention of selling it then you could refinish it in a way that makes you happy. I talk to an appraiser to see what they thought first.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by questionqueen View Post
    Well, I'm not sure, but from what I've always heard is that if you refinish or restain an antique piece it dramatically reduces its value.

If it is an antique and it has the original finish, any alterations will lower value.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb