+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "rising heat"

Unhappy "rising heat"

I own a 4 level split home. My master bedroom is above the garage and it faces west.In the summer months my master bedroom gets VERY WARM from the "RISING HEAT" from the garage. I have very good insulation in my attic, new windows and doors(back door slider**.Fairly new AC unit {5 yr**,vynil siding with a {ty-wrap**under the siding, heavy duty reflective blinds on the 3 windows also with heavy duty curtains. We run a cuople of floor fans during the night, we also open up the garage door once the sun goes down to let some heat out. Romm runs about 82 degree's at night.

MY QUESTION: I was thinking about installing some type of exhaust fan{bath room exhaust fan not sure about his, near the ceiling of my garage and run it outside on the north side of my house, thinking when I turn the switch on to this fan it would help draw some of the heat out of my garage and HOPEFULLY not make my master bedroom to warm. It will require cutting a hole in the vynil siding, running electric wiring to this fan and the expense of a good quality fan. Do they make some type of fan just for this ?? Any suggestions WOULD BE A relief to help cool the room.

thank you "RISING HEAT"

Default Re: "rising heat"

They do make these types of fans, usually industrial grade for dry cleaners or laundromats for heat relief purposes. I don't think this would be the best option though, are you absolutely sure it is due to rising heat? That seems very unusual given you have decent a/c and insulation. The garage will naturally be warmer, and using an exhaust fan would take too much energy to cool it down entirely. For some cooling tips, try to make sure there is minimal sunlight and leave the garage door open when you park in it so the does not accumulate heat and exhaust.

I don't think a bathroom fan will cut it. A gable fan mount on the wall would help, but I would put some (or a lot) of insulation in the ceiling of the garage. Also consider an insulated garage door.

can you simply open windows on opposite sides of the apartment to get a cross breeze, even set up a regular fan in the window with it blowing out to draw the warm out out
    fire up the saw and make some dust

What's the insulation like in the garage ceiling? I'm guessing that a major source of the heat transfer into the bedroom.

The 2nd likely cause is improper duct sizing to the master bedroom. I'm guessing it's pretty far away from you air conditoning system. Are the ducts accessible? Maybe you can add another supply vent, or increase the size of the existing one.

A good heating and cooling engineer or contractor coudl evaluate your home (do a laod calculation) look at yoru current system design and possible recommend changes.

For insulating the garage ceiling, if feasible, I'll recommend closed cell spray foam. It will completely seal off the garage from the bedroom preventing any fumes etc. from entering your home and you only need a couple inches to provide a good level of insulation.

A ventilation fan in a garage isn't a bad idea either way. But to a significant amount of heat you'll need a descent amount of airflow.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Quote Originally Posted by kdreifurst View Post
    I own a 4 level split home. My master bedroom is above the garage and it faces west.In the summer months my master bedroom gets VERY WARM from the "RISING HEAT" from the garage. I have very good insulation in my attic, new windows and doors(back door slider**.Fairly new AC unit {5 yr**,vynil siding with a {ty-wrap**under the siding, heavy duty reflective blinds on the 3 windows also with heavy duty curtains. We run a cuople of floor fans during the night, we also open up the garage door once the sun goes down to let some heat out. Romm runs about 82 degree's at night.

MY QUESTION: I was thinking about installing some type of exhaust fan{bath room exhaust fan not sure about his, near the ceiling of my garage and run it outside on the north side of my house, thinking when I turn the switch on to this fan it would help draw some of the heat out of my garage and HOPEFULLY not make my master bedroom to warm. It will require cutting a hole in the vynil siding, running electric wiring to this fan and the expense of a good quality fan. Do they make some type of fan just for this ?? Any suggestions WOULD BE A relief to help cool the room.

thank you "RISING HEAT"
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    What's the insulation like in the garage ceiling? I'm guessing that a major source of the heat transfer into the bedroom.

The 2nd likely cause is improper duct sizing to the master bedroom. I'm guessing it's pretty far away from you air conditoning system. Are the ducts accessible? Maybe you can add another supply vent, or increase the size of the existing one.

A good heating and cooling engineer or contractor coudl evaluate your home (do a laod calculation) look at yoru current system design and possible recommend changes.

For insulating the garage ceiling, if feasible, I'll recommend closed cell spray foam. It will completely seal off the garage from the bedroom preventing any fumes etc. from entering your home and you only need a couple inches to provide a good level of insulation.

A ventilation fan in a garage isn't a bad idea either way. But to a significant amount of heat you'll need a descent amount of airflow.
    I don't believe an exhaust fan in the garage is the correct fix --- more of a band-aid.
    I would have to go along with some of what motoguy touches on.

Rooms above garages are infamous for being too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. More often than not it's due to improper insulation between the garage ceiling and the room above's floor.
    Also if you have heat ducting inside that space it is negatively affecting the heating / cooling of that room .

Removing the ceiling in the garage more than likely you will fing batt insulation that is poorly installed.
    Removal of that batt insulation and 2lb spray foam applied to the underside of the floor above --- ensuring that all connections to exterior surfaces are also sprayed along with any ducting will provide a superior insulated system.

An important point mentioned --- the spray foam also provides an air tight seal preventing carbon monoxide ( CO ) from the garage entering the room above.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default How About a Mini-Split

Have you looked into installing a heat pump mini split? That's the logical anwser.