Default Frameless Glass shower panel

I have a starfire tempered glass shower enclosure which has a chip about 1.5" long and 3/8" high and about .030 to .060 deep at the bottom edge of the stationary glass panel. It was chipped by the installer during installation who says it is not a problem. What is the risk of this panel having a catastrophic failure?

Default Re: Frameless Glass shower panel

Probably fairly low.

Shower door glass is tempered and designed to pebble when shattered so that there are no sharp shards to harm anyone that may be nearby. It is unlikely that the glass was chipped during the install as any impact hard enough to chip the glass would have shattered it. It was more likely chipped before it went through the tempering process.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

If it is a surface chip you should be OK.

But didn't you pay for a perfect install ?

It would bother me, knowing that there is an inch and a half long chip in the glass. To me it would look like a foot and a half long.

If the installer caused the chip, accidently or not, he should swallow the damage.

If it got chipped during shipping, the shipper should be contacted.

These enclosures are not cheap. Why accept a chip?

No matter the cause you paid for new and perfect- not damaged in any way. A replacement is in order and if that isn't forthcoming the filing of a small claims suit should handle it. On more than a few occasions I've had a customer ask why I was replacing something and I pointed out the flaw they didn't see. About half the time they said it wouldn't have bothered them, but as a Pro it bothered me- and that was enough.

Well so far i haven't paid anything. I thought the installer would have called me by now as this happened on thursday am. I hope this isn't going to turn into a battle. The chip was not there since the glass was delivered 4 weeks ago there was a screw-up on the hardware delivered so the glass sat semi installed for 4 weeks while they got the right hardware. When we looked closely at the chipped area there was still glass particles sitting on the porcelain shower pan adjacent to the chip. And I have pictures of the glass previous to thursday and no chip evident then either.
    Disapointing that the installer never said anything and when we mentioned it it was kind if brushed over as not and issue. I'm going for the replacement just don't trust these guys now.

From what you are saying, it looks like the installer goofed.

Luckily, you are not out of the $$, yet, so you've got a ton of leverage.

At this point try to avoid battles, seek a reasonable solution to the problem. Whether you trust these guys or not, you need them to remedy the situation. Show the owner/boss/super the photos and tell him that the chip is very annoying. Be very polite, and I'm sure you'll get positive results.

They contacted me with a proposal of discount or replacement. We are going for the replacement. The disappointing part was that the owner said they saw the pictures of the install and when I asked if they could see the chip they said yes and that there installer had actually brought the chipped piece back to the shop. We didn't know he had taken pictures and collected the chip. The installer never said anything about the chip until we noticed it. Anyhow hopefully this will be over soon.