+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copper Plumbing

Default Re: Copper Plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Well I just checked a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe, and you're right. The stamp is very faint, but it's there. You're likely to remove that stamping by sanding the pipe in preparation for soldering it.

This is the first time I've noticed a stamp on the exterior of a copper pipe. However, it's hard enough to see the stamp on an unused piece of copper pipe, let alone if the pipe is dirty.

PS: Type K copper pipe has green printing on it.
    If you look a my first post you will see that I stated that it would be very hard to see.
    Can you tell me what markings are on disturbution tubing?

John

Well from your information I was able to determine the type of piping and it is the yellow color DWV (Drain, Waste & Vent)so at least I know the correct type of pipe was used. This was just the first time I had seen copper used in waste pipe but I'm not a professional plumber either. I like to do my own repairs and restorations. I've found many things done on this house incorrectly like copper heating pipe thru concrete without insulation, boiler oil line in concrete without insulation or liner just to name a couple but my personal favorite was the duct tape used instead of solder to hold the drain pipe off of the boiler's drippy pressure relief valve which completely rusted out the zone pump below it.

Johnjh2o:

In my case, the stamping said "Cello Type K". Apparantly Cello is a copper pipe and fittings manufacturer in Cambridge, Ontario.
    http://www.cello.on.ca/company.html

Clampusystems:
    Tell you the truth, I think copper drain piping would be superior to cast iron drain piping. Copper rusts, but the oxide film it forms is highly impermeable to oxygen. So, as that oxide film grows in thickness, it better and better protects the underlying metal from further rusting. This is why new copper pipes are a metallic orange colour, but old copper pipes are a brown colour. That's cuz copper oxide is brown in colour. So, with copper, you're getting a metal that "self heals" if the bare metal is exposed for some reason.

PS. You don't need to know the rest...
    The ancient Egyptians used copper pipes to carry water around within the pyramids while they were under construction. Pieces of copper pipe have been found in the pyramids from their time of construction. In fact, the Egyptian heiroglyph used for the metal copper was the ankh...

...which was the same symbol they used for the concept of ever lasting life, or life after death.

This is undoubtedly NOT a coincidence. The Egyptian farmers who built the pyramids must have been well aware of copper's natural resistance to corrosion to have associated this metal with their concept of eternal life.

The heiroglyhph for g o l d is:

It is believed to depict a g o l d and pearl necklace. The ancient Egyptians were nothing if not master g o l d smiths.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Johnjh2o:

In my case, the stamping said "Cello Type K". Apparantly Cello is a copper pipe and fittings manufacturer in Cambridge, Ontario.
    http://www.cello.on.ca/company.html

Clampusystems:
    Tell you the truth, I think copper drain piping would be superior to cast iron drain piping. Copper rusts, but the oxide film it forms is highly impermeable to oxygen. So, as that oxide film grows in thickness, it better and better protects the underlying metal from further rusting. This is why new copper pipes are a metallic orange colour, but old copper pipes are a brown colour. That's cuz copper oxide is brown in colour. So, with copper, you're getting a metal that "self heals" if the bare metal is exposed for some reason.

PS. You don't need to know the rest...
    The ancient Egyptians used copper pipes to carry water around within the pyramids while they were under construction. Pieces of copper pipe have been found in the pyramids from their time of construction. In fact, the Egyptian heiroglyph used for the metal copper was the ankh...

...which was the same symbol they used for the concept of ever lasting life, or life after death.

This is undoubtedly NOT a coincidence. The Egyptian farmers who built the pyramids must have been well aware of copper's natural resistance to corrosion to have associated this metal with their concept of eternal life.

The heiroglyhph for g o l d is:

It is believed to depict a g o l d and pearl necklace. The ancient Egyptians were nothing if not master g o l d smiths.
    Most DWV copper is failing after 30 years. I have re-pipe many homes with DWV copper and not just the waste lines, the sewer gas destroyer's both waste and vent lines. DWV is very thin copper. Cast iron on the other hand is in most cases still in service after 60 years or more. That being said PVC is the best choice for waste and vent lines.

John