+ Reply to Thread

Default Which way to lay deck boards?

I'm building a new deck, and am about to put down the pressure treated decking. What is the current thought on which way to lay the boards - bark side up or down? I thought I read somewhere that the school of thought reversed, but from what to what?

Default Re: Which way to lay deck boards?

bark side?

some guys will lay their deckboards by looking at the direction of the grain on the end of the boards so they dont cup. most simple put the best face up so you have teh smoothest surface. if you have the wain showing it will flake off which looks terrible.

then again i havent built a deck with pressure treated decking in 3 1/2 years, its mostly been composite or cedar
    fire up the saw and make some dust

In this article, the author analyzes the advantages and disadvantages of bark side up or bark side down six ways from Sunday, and ends up concluding there is no "best" way to do it other than having the best wood showing.

http://bct.eco.umass.edu/publication...de-up-or-down/

I would lay straight boards "good side" up. I won't use boards which are not completely straight.

Then use deck screws and fasten them to each joist intersection.

They all seem to cup, so put the best side up. Use 3" deck screws careful not to over drive them to hold them down. You can straighten some warped boards as you install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    I'm building a new deck, and am about to put down the pressure treated decking. What is the current thought on which way to lay the boards - bark side up or down? I thought I read somewhere that the school of thought reversed, but from what to what?
    Bark side up was the norm when old growth lumber was used back in the day -- still can be considered with virgin lumber.
    However, with fast growth lumber being harvested today ( and most likely is what you are purchasing ) bark side up is hit and miss.

Bottom line -- best side up.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

We always lay them flat, but I have seen a few decks built with 2x4's on edge.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.