+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gift ideas for new homeowner

A portable air compresssor, either the style with a "pancake" tank or two "sausage" tanks. Don't get an oil-free compressor; they are not as durable as oil-lubricated compressors. Don't get a tankless air compressor either; they are only suitable for inflating tires. You'll also need a hose with quick-disconnects, and the two most basic tools: a tire chuck and a blow nozzle.

Besides inflating tires, an air compressor is useful for blowing dust out of nooks and crannies and off of woodworking projects. It also provides a power source for any number of air tools, particularly nailguns and stapleguns which your b/f will find extremely useful in his DIY projects.

Most small compressors don't provide enough air for spray painting, although for small jobs you might get away with it.

You should be able to find a small, oil-lubed air compressor for just under $200. Look for one that has at least a 3 gallon tank.

The horsepower rating is meaningless. More important than horsepower is the CFM rating: more is better. Different manufacturers will measure this at different pressures, and as pressure rises CFM drops. So one that reports 4.2 CFM at 40 PSI might only deliver 2.1 at 90 PSI (or something like that). Here's a page with more information than you want to know: http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I've read the suggestions, and some of them are really great, but I get a feeling that they are what the posters would like to "get", while the original poster asked about gifts for a first time new homeowner.

Still I think that a prepaid credit card/gift card/store card is the best gift to "give".

With such a gift, the new homeowner can pick the item he/she needs first. Ah freedom !

These are really very nice gift ideas for new home owners. Thanks for5 sharing.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of a gift card for the local home improvement store. Either that, or if you know what the person has, some sort of tool that they might need.

Also, a plant of some sort for a garden or porch is always nice. And the little pads you put under your furniture to make them easier to move.

Howdy this is funny if a man buys a women a kitchen appliance he's a bone head. But a women buying a man a tool is different? LOL

Instead of a tool hows the landscaping? Does he like to play in dirt of do DIY projects? If so something you could do together like pick out an plant a few shrubs or a tree with him.

Far better does he have lawn furniture? Gifting a table and 2 chairs add candle bottle of wine moon light and tha'ts a birthday.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: what about a roll along chest for a core tool kit?

Hiya,
    Problem with those type of tool chests is that, although on wheels, they are pretty static because they have to stay in the garage/workshop/shed!

For in the house work, I like to have a 'core' tool kit in a roll along chest. It is still pretty heavy but it is easy enough to get it into other rooms in the house.

Core kit is your usual hammers, screwdrivers, cordless drills, squares, chisels etc. Basically the tools that you would always need on the job. Leaving the router and other less used tools in the the drawer in the 'shop'.

Just my opinion tho.....
    Hanging with Hidden Content , free professional help with your DIY questions.

Here are some handy tools that make great gift ideas. You can also try some nice decoration gifts.

I like your idea dear .

How about a really nice grill for the backyard ... that's a perfect gift. It's very hard buying a gift for a man, so maybe your best option is a gift card.