+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Re: Gift ideas for new homeowner

A portable air compresssor, either the style with a "pancake" tank or two "sausage" tanks. Don't get an oil-free compressor; they are not as durable as oil-lubricated compressors. Don't get a tankless air compressor either; they are only suitable for inflating tires. You'll also need a hose with quick-disconnects, and the two most basic tools: a tire chuck and a blow nozzle.

Besides inflating tires, an air compressor is useful for blowing dust out of nooks and crannies and off of woodworking projects. It also provides a power source for any number of air tools, particularly nailguns and stapleguns which your b/f will find extremely useful in his DIY projects.

Most small compressors don't provide enough air for spray painting, although for small jobs you might get away with it.

You should be able to find a small, oil-lubed air compressor for just under $200. Look for one that has at least a 3 gallon tank.

The horsepower rating is meaningless. More important than horsepower is the CFM rating: more is better. Different manufacturers will measure this at different pressures, and as pressure rises CFM drops. So one that reports 4.2 CFM at 40 PSI might only deliver 2.1 at 90 PSI (or something like that). Here's a page with more information than you want to know: http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.