+ Reply to Thread

Default Footings Covered by Concrete Pad

Last week I dug 8 4 ft footings for my new deck. I had a mason guy come today and fill the footings along with a new pad for underneath the deck and a portion of the back yard. He made everything one level and now am just left with my not so accurate map to find the footings. Is there anything I can do to find these footings other than making swiss cheese of my new concrete patio?

Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: Footings Covered by Concrete Pad

did you not make a diagram of where your footings were going to be in the first place?

if you did just refer to that, technically you can drop your posts on the pad where teh footings are, you just need to install post anchors first so the posts dont kick out.

your best bet is to spend the extra money and get the type of bracket which creates an air space so the post isnt in direct contact with the concrete and allows air flow underneath which greatly reduces the chance of rot
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Something in your description is unclear.

Can you rephrase your question?

I think what he is saying is the mason did a monolithic pour and he didn't mark the location of the footings.

John

OK, I see now: the OP didn't mark the locations of the post footings, nor set post anchors in them. And he has no plan or diagram to refer to.

Tough s--t.

cspalding22:

If you can't figure out the locations for the posts, you will need to start from scratch. Mark 8 new locations on your slab, cut the slab in each location (1 sf is good), break and remove the concrete in those 8 spots, dig new holes to the desired depth and pour new concrete. BUT this time, set 8 anchors in the new concrete. Get anchors that go deep, for added strength. When you set them in the soft concrete, make sure they are leveled and don't move them around or disturb them for a day or two.

Good luck.

If you have some idea where they are you should be able to find them by poking around the edge of the slab. Where you find concrete below the slap thickness, that should be the footing. To anchor your posts you can drill holes into the footing through the slab and epoxy some bolts in place.

John

John,

I have a feeling that this is supposed to be a fairly large deck, requiring 8 posts in 4' deep conrete, so I don't think that some bolts in epoxy can substitute anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    John,

I have a feeling that this is supposed to be a fairly large deck, requiring 8 posts in 4' deep conrete, so I don't think that some bolts in epoxy can substitute anchors.
    All the bolts have to do is prevent the post from moving laterally. There not supporting any weight.

John

john is correct, this method is used by contractors regularly in renovation situations for both residential and large commercial jobs. plus is accepted by engineers

if you dont want to get into epoxy, concrete wedge anchors will also work , just make sure they are 1/2" by 6" minimum
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks everyone, like I said there is a diagram, however I can't put much confidence in it as it was drawn before I dug the holes. I know as I used the auger it could have shifted a few inches from where it is on the map. I suppose what I will do is predrill with the smallest mason bit I can find and hope I hit it. And whatever I miss, I can refill with cement.