+ Reply to Thread

Default Sour smell in old house that come & goes

We have a 1930s house that we took down to the studs 10 years ago and put back together. Last winter we had a "fishy" smell in a little entry that sticks out of the house. I had to hang heavy blankets to try to keep the smell out of the rest of the house. Sometimes the smell comes back for a while. It is very strong, almost burns the nose. Doesn't seem to matter on the weather, can be hot/humid or rainy or dead of winter.

Now another "fishy" smell came last night at top of stairs. I can't quite put my nose on it, where it's coming from. It is very strong & offensive. Makes me want to move out! We have all hardwood floors. All old has been gutted out except between stairways going up & down stairs, this would be still the old lathe and plaster and possibly any old droppings that could've gotten between there. (When we took old walls apart they were filled 3-ft high with animal droppings and misc they had carried in.)

We have had lots of bats in our attic. I've heard that bats have a really bad smell. Don't know how to tell if it's something like this or where it's coming from.

Default Re: Sour smell in old house that come & goes

What make drywall did you use? At about the time you did your remodel there was some drywall that was causing mold. I believe it came from China. I hope that's not your problem. Most of it was found in Mississippi and Alabama after the storms. Not sure about this but I think there were some class actions suits on this.

John

I recently learned that those class action suits are now settled, and the courts have set a specific time to file claims.

If your drywall was imported from China, don't wait, make your claim now. You can find out where and how by searching on google.

I'm not sure if this helps but any chance it could be a dead bat or rodent? I recently came across this but it was more of a rotten meat smell rather than fishy.