+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Basement project

Need some advice to help finish off my basement. First off... A waterproofing company installed their system. When they put this system in they cut and removed (about 24 inches or so) the studs and paneling all the way around. So everything 24" and below.. there is nothing...above the 24" area there is paneling and studs. Tearing out everything and starting from scratch would be the best way to go... but having lost my job, time and money are in short supply. To try to keep the cost down.. I had 2 ideas. First... extend the studs where they were cut off and attach a piece to the side. Second idea...build a short wall and slide it under. Then finish off the bottom half with mold proof drywall. But this way would be a little tougher since the waterproofing company basically took a circular saw and cut a line all the way around without any concern for accuracy. Any ideas or suggestions..?

Default Re: Basement project

if i were to try to save the upper half of the walls, i would do as you said, build a small wall with a top and bottom plate and slide it under the hanging studs from above. then attach the small wall you made to the concrete wall with blocking for stability and attach the hanging studs to the lower top plate. when you do install the drywall make sure to keep it at least 1" off the floor.

The short wall solution seems to be the most practical, but the remaining studs on the top half are of different lengths. I was considering renting a laser level so I could cut a straight line and get everything even. Does a circular saw blade have enough depth to cut the 4" length of a 2x4? Making all these cuts when the remaining studs are just dangling has me a little concerned. The paneling on the top half is still attached, but it still wobbles a little. I am taking on this project by myself.

the studs are 3 1/2" deep and a 7 1/4" circular saw won't go that deep. i would use the laser level to get your straight line, use the circular saw to cut as deep as it will go then finish it off with a hand saw or a sawsall.