+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default multiple pipe leaks

Within past 3 months we had three leaks on two seperate points, always on hot water line near pipe joints. We have a pressure reducing valve & thermal expansion tank . water pressure is around 65. We also have a recirculating pump.
    Our house is 17 years old - two storied. We are in Plano , TX area. Any suggestins regarding our options to prevent further leaks are welcome- repipe the whole house or or reline the pipes ?
    we are really fed up with the current situation ( spent thousands of dollars on plumbing bill as well as restoration process.
    Anyone has any experience with ACE duraflo systems?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: multiple pipe leaks

It's way too early for your pipes to fail...and before they develop a leak in a different location, I would repipe.

I don't know much about Ace duraflo system, but I never liked "coating" of any kind. Besides, for what it probably costs, you can repipe.

Question is: repipe with what?

If PEX is permitted in your town, then it will be the cheaper choice. Otherwise, repipe with copper type L. Get a few estimates.

Repipe is not that messy, and it can be a smooth operation if done by a reliable crew.

Leaks like you describe are generally attributed to an improper installation or excessively acid water. Have water tested. Two installation errors that can cause leaks in such a short time is the over use of flux when sweating the copper leaving globules of acidic flux to eat through the copper or not deburring the cut ends of copper which leads to a vortex action and increased wear. More leaks may be a possibility but not certain. Personally I would wait and see if you get another, then if you do re-pipe.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If it wuz me, I would simply phone around to the plumbers in your town and ask them if the water conditions in your area cause pinhole leaks in copper piping.

If not, then the next time you have a leak, cut out the piece of supply piping back to and including the closest UPSTREAM joint. Have that pipe cut open and see if there's visible erosion of the ID of the pipe downstream of the joint.

You may have just had some bad luck. It would seem to me that if you haven't had any leaks in 17 years, and now three all at once, that either means we're way out there on the normal probability curve, or there's gonna be holes everywhere in your piping by year-end. My feeling, it's just a spat of bad luck.

If you live in a housing development, talk to your neighbors cuz the same plumbers that did your house woulda done theirs too.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-12-2011 at 04:48 AM.

The first and second one were on the same spot. The plumber who came the second time told us that the first plumber ( same company ) did not do a good job & hence soldering of the joint failed.
    the third one happened yesterday evening . Again at another place- (recirculating line and hot water line junction)by the look of it the copper is really pitted and crusted at that area( I am not very familar with US plumbing terms!! ) Right now our hot water is turned off. The plumber wanted to drain the whole system before he repairs . we bought the house 5 years ago. The previous owners never mentioned any leaks. We did not have anything for past 4 years.
    Can a recirculating pump cause frequent leaks ?
    If we want to test water where do we do that ? If water is too acidic what can we do about it?
    In the mean time is the water pressure of 65 too high ?
    Thanks

He didn't say what type of pipe he had, or if he is on a slab or not. I have seen copper go on numerous occasions after 17 years. Especially if it is under ground. If it is CPVC on a recirculating system I have also seen that fail do to it getting very brittle from the hot water. In any case he should repipe. I am curious though as to what pipe he has.

John

we have copper pipes( type - I am not sure). House is on slab as well.

Are these pipe joints under the slab? There should not be any joints under the slab. The lines should be one continuous loop from one point to another. This is done with type L soft copper. If your leaks are in the walls then there is a very good chance that the piping above ground is type M copper. (which has a thinner wall thickness then type L) If the joints are under the slab then it may be type M under there. Because type M is only available in 10' and 20' ridged lengths. Type M is not approved for under ground use.

John

All the joints are above ground.The one thing we noticed that is the crust and heavy deposits at these joints. The plumber also said that the original plumbers did not a good job ( in what way I am not sure)

You are facing the inevitable: repiping. Whether now or in the near future. But since you stated that you already spent thousands on basically 2 leaks, do you really want to wait for the next leak?

At this time the cause is not important, because if it's the water (acids, minerals, deposits, chemicals, etc.) there is nothing you can do about it. And if it is the shoddy workmenship by the original, second or third plumber, you really don't have any warranties, do you?

There are choices for repiping, as I mentioned before. I would repipe with copper type L throughout. Yes, it requires opening and closing some drywall, but a professional crew can make it look like new. And yes, type L is more expensive, but you know why? because it's worth it. And yes, this time there will be no new pipes under the slab.

I've done enough repipe jobs to tell you that repiping will be the least headache.