+ Reply to Thread

Default Gas line for outdoor grill

I'm looking to run a natural gas line from my crawl space, under my decking to a new grill, is there another product I can use other then black pipe or galvanized pipe. I was hoping that there was a flexible plastic tubing!

Default Re: Gas line for outdoor grill

I've seen the GAS COMPANY using the yellow plastic gas tubing to replace rusted or damaged old rigid lines. But I haven't used it myself.

Inquire at wholesale plumbing supply outlets for details on fittings, connectors and tubings.

There is a flexible gas line that is approved for nat. gas use, but suppliers are not allowed sell it to anyone that has not been qualified to use it. (including plumbers)

John

There are your answers.

Stay with the conventional black gas piping.

The wholesale plumbing supply outlet where I shop for supplies carries these flex tubings, but I never had a need to inquire about them...
    Last edited by dj1; 07-10-2011 at 07:30 PM.

What I didn't add to this is it is very expensive and the only way it can be purchaser is in 300' rolls.

John

James:

The natural gas your furnace or boiler or water heater use for fuel is completely different from the propane that gas grills are normally set up to use, and that's going to probably require that you change something called the "orifice" in each of the burners on your new grill.

Are you doing this just to have your grill burning methane instead of propane?

Quite honestly, the most practical solution here is to just use a 40 pound propane tank under your brand new grill, and use the money you would otherwise be spending on iron piping and fittings and such for something that will provide a real benefit for the money invested. Like maybe get yourself a totally wild screaming eagle tattoo right across your back or maybe a full collector's set of Stevie Ray Vaughan CD's or just make a bigger contribution to your retirement savings plan. The food is gonna look, smell and taste the same regardless of whether you cook it with methane or propane, so where's the return on investment there?
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Since natural gas and propane flow in different pressures, there has to be some conversion from propane to NG, Nestor is correct about that, but it's not that difficult.

I have actually done this years ago:

First I removed the regulator from the BBQ grill, since house NG is regulated at the meter.

Second I had to enlarge the orifice openings. I used a 1/16" drill bit to do that. This allowed more gas to flow into the burners.

Then just connect a flex line from the gas supply and the gas shut off valve into the burner.

just as a side note. in most places working with gas lines requires a licensed pipefitter. if something ever happened and there is no record of a journeyman doing the work you could be s.o.l with your insurance company in regards to getting money to fix a major issue
    fire up the saw and make some dust

First and foremost NEVER USE PLASTIC ON GAS. PE 2406 and PE3408 are poly tubing that the gas company uses for underground only and it has to be one of those two only, depending on pressure ususally 2406 is residentially used for service lines. Use black pipe for your grill and an approved gas grill flex connector avail at the big boxes for about $40. Never alter an orfice, you set your self up for disaster. a gas conversion kit can be obtained by contacting the mfg of the grill, usually about $30-60 depnding on your grill