+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HWH dilemma

Default HWH dilemma

We are remodeling a small (wknd home) beach cabin and trying to decide if adding a 2nd HWH (30-40 gal?) dedicated to a new upstairs 3/4 bath is a good idea or not. Mostly just 2 ppl -occasionally 4, long weekends, in PAC NW, so cool, damp climate.
    Variables: space, usage, cost

We have a 20"x32" (d x w) space (no height restriction) adjacent to the bath that would be ideal for a dedicated HWH. So I am wondering the size tank that would be recommended for this use, given the space available.

Secondly, we hope this would allow a slightly smaller HWH downstairs (to run a 1/2 bath, W/D, and kitchen) - would a 40 gal HWH suffice? Dimensions of HWH are again important as the space is tight.

Thanks.

Default Re: HWH dilemma

What's the size of your current W/H?

It may be large enough to add a shower to, at a substential enery saving.

But if you want a separate W/H for the addition, a 30 gal should be plenty.

Another option would be to install an on-demand tankless W/H.

...And to answer your second question:

A 40 gal W/H is big enough for 1.5 baths, kitchen, dishwasher and washer.

Gas or electric water heater? Since gas typically has a faster recovery, you can usually get by with a smaller heater.

Do you take long showers? Will you be taking showers one right after the other?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.