+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: calling all plumbers.....questions

Thanks John & Fence! I am aware of the toilet elbow that goes between the 2 toilet parts. And yes, I am redoing an older home from the 20s. Does the spud only come in one size?

I tried fitting the flared end into the hole on the back of one of my toilet bowls. It just went it, but it made me wonder what keeps it from slipping right back out. I'm guessing, Fence, that the rubber washer expanding inside prevents that, yes?
    peace,
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
    Thanks John & Fence! I am aware of the toilet elbow that goes between the 2 toilet parts. And yes, I am redoing an older home from the 20s. Does the spud only come in one size?

I tried fitting the flared end into the hole on the back of one of my toilet bowls. It just went it, but it made me wonder what keeps it from slipping right back out. I'm guessing, Fence, that the rubber washer expanding inside prevents that, yes?
    That's my understanding. I, too, have a similar toilet that needs repair; I did a lot of research to figure out exactly how it's put together since I will likely need to replace all the metal and rubber parts.

The toilet has been working faithfully since sometime in the 40's but the seal at the base has failed. I expect that disassembly will result in the destruction of any metal and rubber parts.

I haven't ordered the parts yet, so haven't dared take the toilet apart. It's at the church and I don't want to leave it out of commission too long.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Back to the toilet tank elbow......I would assume that on the flush ell it would be better to go with the one John posted a ink to that says it is 22 gauge brass tubing than one that simply says "metal", yes?
    peace,
    Sophie

Sophie,

Absolutely positively yes.

I would think that by metal they meant not plastic. All the ones I have seen were chrome plated brass, what the gauge was I'm not sure. More important is are the slip nut also chrome plated brass.
    They fail long before the flush ell.

John

I can't seem to find the one that said "metal". But tell me why the difference in prices here if they are both brass.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Plumb-Pak-PP7002NPC-Toilet-Elbow/dp/B00002ND1I

http://http://www.signaturehardware.com/product704
    Last edited by SophieC; 07-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    peace,
    Sophie

If they both look the same, but do not cost the same, it's very likely that one is solid brass and the other is brass plated.

That would make perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that.

Another new question.....back to the spud. If the threaded end of the spud protrudes from the back of the toilet and the flush ell is inserted into that and then the slip nut is tightened, does this mean that there will be some exposed threads showing on the spud?
    Last edited by SophieC; 07-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    peace,
    Sophie

No, they make a 2" chrome plated box flange to cover the threads of the spud. It goes over the threads and the slip nut holds it in place.

John

Whoa! The Signature Hardware link that someone provided earlier sells the 2x6x8 chrome flush ell for $43.95. Their site states it is 22 gauge brass tubing. I just got off the phone with someone at Bathroom Machineries and he wasn't sure what gauge his was...he said either 22 or 19. Their 2x6x8 chrome flush ell sells for $70.50. That is a BIG difference!!!! Especially when I have to buy two of them. I know that they are both brass with brass nuts, so in this case, I think I'll go with Signature Hardware. Besides, I'll be buying 2 porcelain handled flush levers from Bathroom Machineries at $36 each. Just spreading my money around.
    peace,
    Sophie