+ Reply to Thread

Thread: restaining deck

Question restaining deck

hi, i recently cleaned my deck of mold stains and mildew and i want to restain it, but some stains refuse to come out and ive tried everything. also the old stain is still in places. do i need to sand down the old stain areas? or can i put on a new coat the same color and it would be ok? do they make any kind of deck restorer that would work better? i attached too pics of the area.

Default Re: restaining deck

thx i think the dark stains gonna be the way to go given my time contraints thanks

You will need to sand, sand and sand more. Then select solid stain to cover all the imperfections and variations.

BTW, the deck is gorgeous, and I can't wait it see it finished.

I see that you have used bleach on your deck. Bleach will kill mildew, but it will also cause the boards to gray up. I would suggest you use a deck cleaner containing oxylic acid, such as Behr's 2In1 Cleaner, to bring back the natural color of the wood. However, if you want to get the deck really looking good, you need to remove the residual stain by either sanding or chemical stripping. If you sand, you will need to sand the entire deck, not just the remaining stain patches, otherwise, you will unevenly open the grain and cause the new stain to look blotchy.

I think an even darker stain over the remaining stain would make the deck look worse than re-using the same color stain. You could use solid hide decking stain, but that totally kills the beauty of natural wood grain.

Were it me, I would finish stripping the deck with chemical deck stripper and use the new color of my choice.