+ Reply to Thread

Default Shelves for Workshop

Hi,

I'm building new shelves for my workshop. I'm somewhat new to carpentry, and am planning on using 2x6 uprights (1 front and 1 back) with dados, and 3/4" plywood for the shelves. I went to woodbin's Sagulator to get the thickness, but the only plywood option on there is fir plywood. I can't find fir plywood on the local stores websites, I mainly see Pine, CDX and OSB. Does anyone know which of these would be the strongest and hold up the best? It's a dry area, and the shelves will be roughly 2' x 30" and will have tools (up to 50 lbs) on them. I'm not too worried how they look, I just want them to function well.

Thanks!
    Joe

Default Re: Shelves for Workshop

Any of the above would be suitable for shelving.

2x6 uprights is a bit of an overkill, unless you're going to be supporting engine blocks, otherwise 2x4 framing is more than sufficient. Also, I would recommend framing for the shelves and not just relying on the thickness of the shelf material to withstand the load of the contents. Given framing for the shelf, the thickness of the shelf material can be significantly less, which will result in much less costly materials. I would say that a 1x4 or a 2x2 shelf frame with 1/2" plywood or osb would be more than sufficient for all but the heaviest of loads. No matter how you build your shelf, you're not going to want to watch your spans. For a plain 3/4" slab, don't span more than 3'. With a 1x4 or 2x2 frame you can probably span 4' - 6' depending on the total weight load placed upon it. If the weight will be significant, use a 2x4 frame and don't span more than 6'.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 07-08-2011 at 01:51 AM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have a bunch of shelves that I built a long time ago, they support a lot of weight, and seem to be fine.

2x3 uprights, 1x3 framing and 1/2" plywood shelves (most shelves are 12"x30"). Drywall screws for fasteners.

Not expensive to build with long term good service.

im with the rest of the crew on this one. 2x3 or 2x4 is more than enough along with 1/2" osb. thats all i used in my shop and i store a pile of heavy tool bags and power tools on the shelfs with no issue
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice. I got the shelves finished over the weekend. I ended up using 2x4 uprights and 1/2" B/C plywood (I opted for the better look for a few bucks more) with 1x3s glued and screwed underneath the front and back of each shelf. They look great, are more than strong enough and cost less than $100 for everything for an 8' wide span with 2' deep shelves.

Thanks again!
    Joe

Good job! enjoy!

I'd throw another set of legs in the middle of that span. You're going to have sagging shelves in no time with an 8' span.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!