+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name this plant

Default Name this plant

Despite my attempts to uproot this beast from my garden, every year it grows back. This year I have decided to see what it does, but it is so big, that I am worried it will start eating small children. It is about 3 feet tall and is starting to flower, which has me worried that these seeds will over run my yard and I'm going to be sorry.

Is this plant friend or foe? Should I dig it up now or is it a pretty flower that I will enjoy?

Sorry for the bad links, for some reason I keep getting "invalid file" when I try to upload.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25456993@N02/5912301428/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25456993@N02/5911742503/
    Last edited by Capellam44; 07-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Default Re: Name this plant

You need to find a new host for your images, no one can view your images unless they're a member of Facebook as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I edited the post above with 2 new links

It looks like a Weedius Capellamus ...

For it to be that big, it's probably an ornamental plant of some sort, but unless it's something you want and enjoy in your yard, it's a weed that must die!

I wouldn't worry about the budding flower, just watch it for two things, 1 - is it pretty and something you'd like to keep, and 2 - don't let it go to seed. Once the flowers bloom, cut off the pods. If it doesn't bloom and only develops a pod, cut the pods off before they open.

If you want it dead, you can either use herbicide on it (after cutting pods off ), or torch it. You can use a small propane torch to scald the leaves, this will cause the plant to bleed to death. You do not want to char it into oblivion, just scorch it until you hear it pop. When you're done, the plant should look more like it's wilted from not been watered in a week or two. The point it to do it just enough that the plant can't heal itself.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Starting at the base of the pod, are pretty little yellow flowers opening up. I suspect that once the top flowers, it will either seed, or die.

Seeing as it is a weed I do NOT want this in my garden. However, the front of my house is good for growing little more than weeds. Sandy clay soil and years of neglect brings about the worst kind of weeds. Is it possible to dig it up and move it to the front yard? Or am I better off cutting off the pod and see if it will go to seed and plant it next year?

Either way, the one in the garden will die. Thanks for the tip. At least I know what it is

You don't sound like you care whether it lives or dies, so if I were me, I'd just soak it well to loosen the root ball and dig it up and replant in the new location. You'll probably want to wait until if finishes flowering, but I wouldn't worry about waiting for dormancy.

Looks like Mullein.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Are the leaves covered with a sort of fur? The plant looks like Lamb's Ear.

It looks like mullein to me.

Every time you pull it up you are shaking the plant which causes it to seed. Pull the plant and bag it. Then, place newspaper on the ground in a wide area to make sure you cover where the seeds would fall. Cover the newspaper with dirt to weigh it down. The newspaper will act like an impenetrable barrier that the new seedlings can not break through.

This works on a lot of annoyingly invasive species. I use it on Morning glories and have had great success.