+ Reply to Thread

Default ****en Rain Tree

Does anyone know why my ****en Rain Tree looses all it's leaves by mid July. It seems like it shouldn't do that until fall. It is about 20 years old and I have gotten chemical sprays for it at the garden center, but it doesn't seem to help. I have been struggling with this for a couple of years now.

Default Re: ****en Rain Tree

It may be a verticillium wilt, a fungal disease. By the time you see it a fungicide may not help. Treat it before you see the disease. It may not be worth the effort in the long run. Proper fertilization may help.

My crabapple tree would lose its leaves almost every year by mid-summer. In its case, it was obvious that fungus was involved. Most fungal remedies read like pretty toxic stuff, so I elected to just leave it alone. It always came back in the spring.

if you can actually see crusty growth on the trunk of the tree or the bark wilting off due to the fungus, a quick remedy is just spraying it will light bleach (like Shout! or something) until it subsides. be sure to spray during daytime.