+ Reply to Thread

Default Is Hardiebacker Safe for Backer Boxes Behind Recessed Light Cans?

I知 building a home theater room and I am installed recessed lights. Since recessed light cans are notorious for allowing sound to leak through the ceiling, I want to create wooden backer boxes that go around the recessed light cans to seal them up and keep the sound from going through them to the upstairs.

I知 using IC-rated cans. I was going to build the boxes out of OSB and line the inside of them with シ inch hardiebacker. I was wondering if that would be safe or if there would be too much heat buildup inside the boxes. I知 not sure how much heat hardiebacker can take.

Default Re: Is Hardiebacker Safe for Backer Boxes Behind Recessed Light Cans?

Ed, since you're using IC (in-contact fixtures) I think hardieboard would be a perfect material since it's cement based.
    It would probably be a good material even if the fixtures were not rated IC.

It will help sound proof, fireproof and save energy by preventing conditioned air escape.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

That's right. Hardiebacker is used maily under counter tiles and it can take hot foods, pots, and pans in high temps, right off the stove and oven, hotter than lights, with no problem.

Hardi products are not fireproof but do have a very high flammability threshold compared to most common materials. They will transfer heat- it's not a good thermal insulator- so that becomes something to think about as well. I'd rather see the boxes lined with sheetrock then covered with hardi but I don't think there will be enough heat for this to be an issue; just be sure that the cans and the bulbs are rated for the application.

Hardie backer is overkill and I'm not so sure about how it would transfer sound. Try these. Recessed light covers.

Then foam them down and insulate up to them.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Hardie backer is overkill and I'm not so sure about how it would transfer sound. Try these. Recessed light covers.

Then foam them down and insulate up to them.
    Using them over non ic cans however could and probably would result in the lights going out when they get hot. I would use them with ic cans.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content