+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior - concrete + paint

I have an old house that was sprayed with a mixture of concrete + paint over, I believe, cedar siding. This stuff is glommed on so tough, it took me an hour with a hammer, flathead screwdriver + metal sc****r to do a 10" X 10" area. The powerwasher barely penetrated it. Can I get this off or should I just resort to siding? Frustrated in Nebraska.

Default Re: Exterior - concrete + paint

I would go to any tool rental shop and rent a rotary hammer with an SDS shank masonary chisel.

SDS chucks allow the forward and backward movement of a drill bit (or whatever) while rotating, which is why they're commonly used on hammer drills. Also, most SDS hammer drills can be put into "hammer only" mode, which is what you want to use with a masonary chisel.

I'd try using that rotary hammer with masonary chisel to remove that paint/cement "stucco" off the exterior of your house. If that doesn't solve the problem, the easiest solution is to learn to love the stuff and leave it be.

i2,

I am not surprised that you were able to clear only a small area in an hour. Were you able to do it without gouging and dinging the soft siding underneath? Excessive dings are difficult to patch. Exterior spackling does not have a good track record for holding. You might do all this hard labor for naught. I would try prepping that which you have already bared to see if you can get satisfactory results before continuing on. Paint does not hide imperfections well, especially paint with any amount of sheen.

I doubt that power equipment will get you good results, but it is worth a test. I suspect that it will excessively tear up the soft siding.

Nestor: Thank you for the idea. I wonder how long it would take me to do a whole house with a rotary hammer? My son told me about a "hotsie" -- heated water pressure (he used one of these doing striping). This stuff is popping off the south-facing side of the house so maybe heat will be the solution. You never want to hear "I've never seen this before" from a contractor . . .

I luv PEI 2:

I don't even know IF you could chisel all the cement off your house without mucking up the wood siding under it. All I'm thinking is that if it's possible to do, the rotary hammer would probably be the way to go.

"Hotsy" is the name of one of the bigger companies in car wash equipment. They also make pressure washers with their own built in water heaters so that you have a hot water pressure washer:
    http://www.hotsy.com/

I don't know which would work better, the hot water pressure washer or the rotary hammer, or something else someone else may suggest. You're in uncharted territory.

I'm only concerned that by removing that "stucco", you might end up uncovering a big problem that someone before you went to great lengths to cover up.

Nestor: Thank you, again. Why did the previous homeowner do this?! I'm just trying to look at all my options and make a good decision. Taking a crash course in Siding 101 (+ gutters) via articles and conversations just like I did for Windows 101 (replaced 11). Being a single woman, I'm always in uncharted territory. Smooth sailing is no fun anyways, right?

Thanks for the advice. The project is already in the works.