+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Wet Wood Walls in Garage!

Our wood walls in the garage are eather leaking through the joints or are absorbing water whenever it rains. This is causing a constant wet, almost mildewy smell in there. You can feel the moisture when you touch the wood on the inside of the Garage. We have a new roof on it as of maybe a year and a half ago. So im not thinking its from that. There are a couple cracks/gaps/holes in the old panels were you can see light coming through. My question is: do we need to repair from the outside, or the inside and what/how do we do it? This house was built in 1926 and we are slowly (because of $$) fixing her up. We are NEW homeowners willing to learn and become DIY'ers but have NO previous experience.

PLEASE HELP US!!

Any tips, comments, ideas, links would be greatly appreciated. If you need a photo i can provide that for you!!!

Default Re: Wet Wood Walls in Garage!

Welcome,

What type of wood is it? Is the wood original to the house? Where are you located?

Wood siding can let light through and still be effective. It depends on where the holes are. Where the boards overlap each other should not be caulked shut. Those joints are meant to breathe and allow for movement. The boards are overlapped to prevent the water intrusion.

What is the paint like on the outside?

what is the siding? wood im guessing, if its leaking like you say theres a good chance there isnt any tar paper under the siding
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Im not sure what kind of wood it is, or if it's to the original 1928 house. not thinking its that old. But what do i know. Im glad you mentioned not to seal the joints. That was one of our ideas. I just ran out to take a couple of pictures to add to this, I hope it works. The paint is Ext. Latex.

Thank you both for your fast response. My husband just retired from the Navy and recieved $300 in gift cards to Lowes and we are planning on using it towards this issue.

I added a folder in my flicker if you go to flicker.com / photos/ 1krissz you will see the album. since im new here they wont let me post any images yet

Without being able to see the pics, all good paint jobs require 90% of the effort in prep work. While a modern latex paint will work just fine for exteriors, they need an excellent primer and a good surface to start with.

Here are some more questions for you to answer so we can give you a more accurate course of action:

- Are there any water pipes running in the walls?

- Do you have an irrigation system near the garage?

- What is the condition of the exterior paint on the exterior wood/siding?

- When it rains, do you notice any water accumulation around the garage?

- Are there any water pipes running in the walls? No

- Do you have an irrigation system near the garage? No

- What is the condition of the exterior paint on the exterior wood/siding? starting to flake/peel

- When it rains, do you notice any water accumulation around the garage? No. The water leaking in seems to come from the siding, like its leaking through the joints

Your first goal should be to stop any new water from coming in. A new coat of paint over the prepared exterior will help. You got to make it water tight. Only then you should start replacing the stinky interior walls.

The interior and exterior are the same wall. If you can email me I can send you a link to the pictures so you can get a visual of what im talking about. jstkiss3@yahoo

Now I understand what you are saying. No need to see a photo.

If the wall smells bad, so bad that you can't live with it, then the obvious thing to do is replace it. That's what I would do. But this time, build it correctly. And if you feel that ripping a garage wall and building a new one is too much for you - then hire a pro. Get some estimates. It should not break the bank.