+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint or new siding

This old house was built in 1926. Small story and a half, 784 sq. ft.
    70% of paint is peeling, on the cedar lap siding. 10% of boards need to be replaced. I want to keep the 1926 looks. The house is not insulated, but still comfortable. which way to go siding or paint. i am retired and on a limited income, but can afford which ever way.
    thanks from Montana.

Default Re: Paint or new siding

on an older house with the paint in hard condition. painting can be quite expensive though not as expensive as new siding depending on the shape of the wood. it will definitely require scraping and some patching then all new primer and paint. best bet is to contact a few local paint contractors and ask for quotes.

prices can vary from contractor to contractor and region to region
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Start by asking a Realtor about the cost inefficiencies of insulating when replacing the siding over painting. There may or may not be any advantage to adding the insulation when re-siding the house.

Re-siding without addressing the insulation/vapor problem would be somewhat futile. In an un-insulated house, the warm, relatively humid air inside the house in winter, reaches the back side of the siding where it freezes or condences. The moisture enters the wood all winter long. Come the heat and sunshine of the summer, that moisture wants out and will pop the paint film on the siding. Granted, today's acrylic paints do breath far better than the oil paints of ages past,but under vapor stress, it will probably still pop.

If you do re-side, you should use a rain screen under the siding and mount the siding to batten strips which give a breathing space right in back of the siding. There are many new products on the market which aid in keeping the siding off the sheathing and allowing for vapor to escape.

However, without insulation, there is still condensation/freezing on the inside of the wall cavity. Older houses leaked air like crazy so that rot and mildew weren't neccessarily a problem. As you tighten a house up, it becomes more important in with dealing condensation. In recent years, vapor barriers such as heavy plastic have been placed just in back of the drywall, however, this practice is now a matter of great debate, especially in very cold climates.

If replace wood siding, I would consider cedar clapboards, pre-stained front and back. Hardi-Plank is also a very good siding. It does not rot, holds paint well and termites don't like it. I have it on my own home and have been very pleased with it.

If you strip your siding, or at least do extensive preparation, I would go with 100% acrylic primers and finish coat. It would have the best chance of holding.

Finally, if you are sanding and scraping your old paint, a house of that age will probably have lead paint on it. Chemical strippers would be safer as far as loose lead becoming airborn, but strippers can be quite pricey. There are new generation strippers which are non-toxic and require almost no protective gear, but some of it runs a couple hundred dollars per gallon!

Thanks for the help, i finally know why paint does not stick. Next how to chose siding which will add to this old house. Also under this siding there is 3/4 T&G boards, and under inside walls is also 3/4 T&G, should i remove siding and boards, insulated and wrap?
    do this, myself over a couple summers?
    thanks again

There are many Craftsman houses and bungalows built exactly the same way. Optimally you'd be taking it down to the studs, fixing any electrical, plumbing, and framing issues, replacing the windows with something modern and efficient, adding insulation, plywood, a vapor barrier,and hardie siding before painting. Hardie can be found in a 4.5" ship lap and larger sizes.

How much of the above you do is your choice, based on house value, the neighborhood, and how much you want to invest.

Your decision to install new siding is a wise one.

But I would remove the existing T&G boards as well, even if it taked two summers...

Do it right and It will last and last and last.

There are so many options with vinyl siding today. I'm sure you can still keep the historic look with less maintenance by going with siding. Getting good quality might cost a bit more up front, but it will last so much longer and with less issues than wood. But, if you are retired and enjoy spending your time scrapping and painting, go for the wood