+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

Quote Originally Posted by oppositionleader View Post
    How do you install a shutoff valve? I have a capped-off gas line on the first floor of my two-flat -- the former owners once had a stove there, but they moved to the top floor and had the stove uninstalled.

It looks like it's as simple as shutting off the gas to the first floor, unscrewing the cap on the line, and screwing in the shutoff valve using thread sealer for gas lines. Is there anything I'm missing?
    Congratulations on reviving a thread that's over 2 years old. Next time, you're better off starting your own thread for a question.

But, since you asked... you've got the basics down. Just make sure the thread sealant is suitable for gas. Also make sure the area is well ventilated to the outside, and extinguish any open flames and turn off any heating appliances. Also avoid flipping light switches or using power tools while you're changing things up, since some residual gas will leak out of the lines.

After you've got the valve installed, make sure it's turned off while you turn on the main supply. Wait several minutes, then use soapy water to check for leaks -- if it bubbles, there's a leak that must be addressed. Small leaks are NEVER acceptable.

Be very careful the first time you light a pilot on a newly connected appliance. (Many modern appliances use electronic ignition, so this doesn't apply.) It may take a while to purge air out of the lines before gas gets to the pilot. NEVER light a match or lighter while the valve is open and the pilot is unlit; always light the match first, bring it next to the pilot, then open the valve. If the match goes out, immediately shut the valve.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

I would also recommend buying the stove before you buy the new fitting and flexible metal hose. The shut-offs and hoses at the home stores are labeled for dryer, standard stove, high output stove, etc., but that designation is not an exact science. Its easy to get one that does not fit.

I've gone through this twice (new range and new dryer) in the last few months because I added new appliances and replaced existing hard pipe connections. I made an extra trip to the store because I did not bring the appliance manual with me and make sure I got the right type and size of gas line connector for the appliance. For the dryer I also looked at the 3/4" pipe I could see above the dryer, but failed to look behind it and notice the adapter that necked it down to 1/2" before the final connection.

Bruce