+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default can I replace my own gas oven?

    Hello,

    We need to replace our free standing gas oven, and don't want to pay and arm and a leg to hire a plumber. Does anyone have any tips?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

    A freestanding gas oven is not very difficult to replace. But there are very important things to watch for.

    First of all, you are dealing with gas, and I don't recommend to those who have no experience to do any gas work. The last thing you need is a gas leak.

    Some later models are attached to the wall with a safety bracket. To bring the oven out in such a case you'll need to free it from the bracket.

    You'll notice that the gas supply line is very long, allowing you access behind the oven, to shut the gas valve and detach the supply line from the old oven.

    If you are not comfortable, let the store install it for you. Most stores offer installation with the delivery.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

    My understanding is that in some parts of the USA, people are allowed to replace their own gas fired water heaters. If that's the case, I don't see much difference between replacing a water heater and a gas stove. But, where I live, you need a "gas ticket" (meaning you're licenced to work with gas piping) to install or replace any kind of gas appliance. Any job which requires that a person open a gas line requires that the person have a gas ticket.

    However, a gas leak can be extremely dangerous. Best to find out IF you're allowed to do this kind of work yourself where you live. If so, then post again and we can provide more specific directions.

    If not, then you need to consider that you can save 90% of the cost of maintaining your home by doing all the stuff that's both easy and safe yourself. It's foolish to start trying to shave that remaining 10% down any further by doing stuff that's dangerous and which you're not qualified to do.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-03-2011 at 10:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

    Hello,

    I'm told that I can replace the oven without a plumber. The issue here is money. It's going to cost almost $250 for the story to install it! A plumber would be even more. The oven we're looking at is less than $300! I'm also told that it's fairly easy to replace an oven so long as you are very careful to make sure everything is sealed properly. Safety is always number one, but if we can do this and safe a boatload of money, I'd really like to. I appreciate any advice you can provide.

    thanks so much!
    K

    PS our existing oven isn't connected to the wall - just the gas line.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,736

    Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

    I don't know where you live, but $250 to connect a new freestanding stove to the wall gas supply plus install a safety bracket is way out of line.

    And you claim the a plumber will be even more...These amounts exceed "Beverly Hills" prices.

    If you are determined to do it yourself, pay attention to the recommendations you are given here in this forum. Plus:

    - Turn the gas off at the valve. If it's hard to turn with a wrench, don't force it, replace the valve (less than $10). To replace the valve turn main gas valve off. Use yellow teflon tape, not white, or joint compound/sealant for the thread.
    - Visually inspect the gas supply line for kinks, cracks, bends. If slightly damaged, replace (less than $20). Do a gas leak check (mix some dishdetergent in a bowl and put some on the gas connections. If it bubbles - you have a leak).
    - All new ovens come with a safety bracket - to ensure that the oven won't tip over. Install it.

    Good luck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,220

    Default Re: can I replace my own gas oven?

    It's your call if you fell you are qualified to install it then do so. But if your doing it with no qualifications and are just trying to save money how can you put a price on you and your families safety.

    John

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •