Poll: Were you satisfied with your electrical contractor?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electrical Advice

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I agree, but most DIYers seem to have Multi-meters because they can pick one up for less than $20. A "wiggie" is all that I use now that they have a continuity feature. Only use Multi for DC circuits.

Jack
    Whatever happened to testing a wire on the end of your tongue? You wanna get wiggy with it, that's gonna do it for ya!

For those that don't know me, this is a holiday weekend, there may be some adult beverages involved with this answer, and above all that I'M KIDDING!!!!!!!!!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

In defense of the "chirpers" I wouldn't leave home without one and wave it all around a box before I stick my fingers in there.

But, only after I've used my wiggie and even then I'll take a large screwdriver and touch all the hots to ground.

Even then I've made wire strippers out of many expensive lineman pliers when cutting and energized cable. Even 15A circuits carry a heck of a punch!

And, I can't count the number of times when I had to remove the face off my first multimeter to straighten the pointer after measuring a high voltage (or current) on the low range.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Semi, that's how I learned to weld. My welding still looks like and accident.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ever made up a low voltage connection for your sidewalk or driveway landscape lighting and wish you could make it waterproof?

I started twisting the wires together as tight as I could get them then, using an ordinary wirenut turned upside down I dabb PVC glue into them. Connections last forever, even under water!

Also, PVC glue dabbed inside a weather proof box will seal the treads better than anything else I've found.

Semi,
    Using some PVC cement glue in ground wire connections is a hell of an idea, even though I think that landscape lights are going wireless these days.

Do you wish you had some cutting oil to cool a drill bit, band saw, hole saw, tap or die and get better performance?

The best and cheapest oil is bacon grease, only problem I can see is it makes you want to take an early lunch!

I wanted to replace my ceiling fan so I removed the connectors on all the wires. There are 17 wires in the box. Which ones do I need to connect to make it work again? Oh, by the way, my refrigerator stopped working so I need to know how to fix this right away before my beer gets warm. I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a picture.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Fencepost,

1. You're in luck. Casablanca fans are 50% off for father's day. Reg. $3999, now only $1,999.

2. RR has top of the line ref. also for 1/2 off for mother's day. Reg. $4999, now only $2499.

If you don't know where to find them, send me a cashier's check and I'll make sure they are delivered on time...