+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathtub Faucet Supply Line Question

We have had to remove the tiles in our bath due to a leaky pipe in the wall. The riser to the shower head is made from 4 separate pieces of tubing, each with a nasty looking solder job. In addition, the faucet has been plumbed backwards (hot and cold switched), which means that you start with scalding water, which is unsafe for kids.

When we finally saw the terrible connections inside the wall, I was inspired to install the fixture again from scratch, which shouldn't take me too long, but I did notice an odd detail. The risers to the faucet connections use T fittings, with extended capped sections past the fitting, instead of Ls that go right to the fixture. Is there a reason I would want to recreate this extended section when I switch the supply lines, or should I just do 90 degree bends into the faucet fixture?

I've tried to attach a picture for clarity, but I appear to be too new to the forum
    Last edited by brandonlynne; 07-02-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Default Re: Bathtub Faucet Supply Line Question

Your description sounds like water hammer arrestors. By having that length of vertical pipe above the fixture, it gives the water an air pocket to compress, which buffers the 'bang' when the water flow is stopped. I'd recommend leaving them in place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You also stated that the hot and cold were reversed. Depending on the faucet this can be caused by the cartridge being installed backwards. If it is by chance a Moen faucet, this can be corrected by removing the handle and rotating the stem 180 degrees.

John

The fact that somebody used a T fitting instead of an L fitting should not have any effect here. Maybe he didn't have an L fitting, but he had a T and a cap, just like when he used 4 tube sections for the shower head supply.

When you reconnect the faucet, align the hot and cold supplies in the correct positions.

Please report back.
    Last edited by dj1; 07-02-2011 at 04:56 PM.

i agree with Spruce, they are hammer arrestors. We would install them on lavs and clothes washers. They worked very good as long as they were long enough. We made ours 18".

John

Thanks for clearing that up! On another positive note, it turns out that the cartridge/disk assembly was actually not installed correctly, so I was able to disassemble it to change the hot water input to the correct side without the need to cut and solder.

Lesson learned, check the easy stuff before you decide to start the hard stuff.