+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water hammer issues

Our 15 year old house suddenly developed water hammer issues( at least I think that is what it is ). we had some work done on our pipe line.The problem developed after that.
    Whenever the washer works I hear a banging sound in the kitchen, especially from the back of refrigerator.
    ( washing machine is next to kitchen)
    We have a pressure reducing valve and a new thermal expansion unit. ( the plumber said the water pressure is around 65 ).
    I called the plumber and he said it is nothing to worry about. But I am kind of worried & quite annoyed by the loud sound .
    Is it water hammer or something else?
    Can we do something about it ?
    Or is it wise to ignore the problem ?
    will reducing the water pressure to home will eliminate the issue ?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: water hammer issues

65 pounds is very on the high side. Most plumbing fixtures are designed to have a maximum working limit of 70 psi. Most municipal water systems are running much closer to 50 -55 psi.

Get some add on shock arrestors for the washer from a big box store. Sioux Chief 660-H Laundry One Fixture Water Hammer Arrester for $10 You'll need a pair, one for hot one for cold. They install fairly easily.

Check on that pressure to make sure. If you are on a well, I'd dial it back a bit.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 07-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.

No well .We are on city water supply ( DFW area).
    Is there anyway we can reduce water pressure to home ? ( already have PRV& thermal expansion tank )
    Should we put water hammer Arrester in kitchen side as well like near dish washer /ice maker etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by mom1967 View Post
    No well .We are on city water supply ( DFW area).
    Is there anyway we can reduce water pressure to home ? ( already have PRV& thermal expansion tank )
    Should we put water hammer Arrester in kitchen side as well like near dish washer /ice maker etc ?
    You can put arrestors all over the house. The more the merrier. I called the Dallas water dept to find out the average pressure and they are doing a phone system upgrade today. (a likely excuse to leave early for the weekend)

Thanks for the advice.
    We are under City of Plano water supply. I called them as well. They put me on hold for more than hour , then phone line cut off !!

Information about reducing water pressure:

If, after the long holiday weekend, you find out that you need to reduce your water pressure in the house, you can do it at your water pressure reducer valve. You will need a water pressure gauge.

1. Locate the 1/2" bolt and the 1/2" retaining nut at one end of the valve.
    2. carefully loosen the retaining nut.
    3. To reduce the pressure you will need to unscrew the bolt out. Do 2 turns at a time.
    4. Tighten the retaining nut. Check your pressure. If still higher than the recommended pressure, repeat.

Mom1967:

You'll reduce the water hammer in your houses's piping more if you make a practice of turning off faucets S L O W L E Y.

The quicker you stop the flow of moving water, the more momentum gets imparted to the pipe the water was flowing in, and the worse the water hammer. Turning off faucets slowly when you can will make more of a difference than lowering your water pressure.

But, water hammer is merely a nuisance. It doesn't cause any harm. You can pound on a soldered joint in a copper pipe with a claw hammer, and that joint will deform and go out of round before it ever leaks.

In the case of both toilets and clothes and dish washers, all of these items contain a special kind of valve that uses the water pressure itself to stop the flow of water. You can't control the rate at which these items shut off the water flow into them.

thanks for all the advice.
    Can an inexperienced DIY person (like mus ) put the water hammer arresters or do we need someone with plumbing skills ?

If the water hammer arrestors simply thread onto the water supply valves to your washing machine, then you should be able to do it yourself with no problem. All you'd need is a pair of channel lock pliers.

Also, be aware that there are different kinds of water hammer arrestors. Some are simply an empty tube that air gets compressed in, while others have a piston in them and the water forces the piston up compressing the air above it. I've been told that the ones with the piston are much better, but I've never used water hammer arrestors so I can't speak from personal experience.

But, bad as it sounds, the water hammer really doesn't do any harm to the walls or the pipes.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-03-2011 at 03:08 PM.

To install a water hammer arrester, you'll need experience in plumbing. If you don't feel comfortable dealing with pipes, connections, etc. you'd better call a plumber.

Water hammer arresters come with different types of connections: male pipe connector, compression connector, male sweat connector, and a few others. So, you need to know what kind to get, to fit your situation. Then you need to have the capacity to safely install it.

good luck.