+ Reply to Thread

Question Front Walk Way To House Needed?

Thank you for your community forums board, I am hoping to take benefit in it since I recently purchased a house.

My house in Morris County NJ has a front walkway made of loose slate rocks on top of dirt ground. Nothing is held down, just placed on top of the dirt. The garage of the house is on the left side. The house is about 50' wide so you can imagine the path is at the 25' in the center of the standard split level design.

I was wondering if you have ever heard of any requirement in any state that says, "You must have a front walkway"? I would like to remove it since we don't ever use the front walkway. We have two rear doors and the garage entrance that everyone including visitors, mailmen, friends and family uses. The mailbox is in the side of the house.

What I'd like to do is remove the slate and make all of the front-- grass. I'd like to then connect the front door to a walkway path that hugs the left side of the house to the garage. That front path would hug the left side in front of the left side plant garden in front of the house.

Is it permitted?

Default Re: Front Walk Way To House Needed?

I would very much doubt that you can't do that. But you never know.

One way to find out is to call the building department. Tell them that dj sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I would very much doubt that you can't do that. But you never know.

One way to find out is to call the building department. Tell them that dj sent you.
    I'm assuming that's probably the local civic center? I don't know since I'm new to all of this. Also, will I need a permit for this type of thing?

Even the U.S. Postman has abandoned the use of entrance walkways. They simply cut across your grass, shortcutting from door to door.

Most building departments are located in or around city hall. Usually right next to the cashier, to collect fees...

But seriously, they will give you the right answer in your town.

Look in the phone book under "local government, building permits" and you'll find the number and location of your local building department.

Odds are there's no requirements or permits needed for what you're proposing. Every location is different, however, so it's always good to check if you want to keep things legal.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 07-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

yeah, keep it legal

Quote Originally Posted by reformedman View Post
    Thank you for your community forums board, I am hoping to take benefit in it since I recently purchased a house.

My house in Morris County NJ has a front walkway made of loose slate rocks on top of dirt ground. Nothing is held down, just placed on top of the dirt. The garage of the house is on the left side. The house is about 50' wide so you can imagine the path is at the 25' in the center of the standard split level design.

I was wondering if you have ever heard of any requirement in any state that says, "You must have a front walkway"? I would like to remove it since we don't ever use the front walkway. We have two rear doors and the garage entrance that everyone including visitors, mailmen, friends and family uses. The mailbox is in the side of the house.

What I'd like to do is remove the slate and make all of the front-- grass. I'd like to then connect the front door to a walkway path that hugs the left side of the house to the garage. That front path would hug the left side in front of the left side plant garden in front of the house.

Is it permitted?
    Can't see any reason why it wouldn't be.
    you are just required to have the door accessible.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush