+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default setting a shed on wet ground

my soil is heavy clay, my yard gets very soggy. I need a shed. the old shed from the previous owners would actually flood in rains, i have gotten that corner to be a little bit less wet, but it does still get wet. my choices of where to set the shed are limited, and all are wet. so my question is what is the best method of setting a shed on wet ground? I assume i have to build up the soil, but how long should i wait to put in the foundation for the shed after doing so? Would cement or railroad ties and stone be a better foundation? help.

erika newark de usa

Default Re: setting a shed on wet ground

Ah, water. I wish we had some...

When you say "wet or soggy" do you mean moist or actually inches of water, like a lake?

Is the area leveled or sloped?

The wet condition and the grade will determine what kind of materials to use and what kind of foundation to select. Also, check the old shed and don't repeat that mistake.

Once you backfill the area and compact the new soil, you can start right away.

For a leveled shed lot, a moisture barrier (6mm plastic) is a must. Concrete foundation with anchor bolts. And the shed itself? you can get a plastic shed kit, I've seen them around.

personally, I prefer a wood construction shed, very much like a garage, that I build from the ground up.

You might consider building on piers.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have a similar problem in my backyard. Whereas it is not actually underwater, it is extremely wet. I dug out the sod, built the area up with several inches of crushed stone, placed 6 mil plastic down and poured the concrete on it. The bottom of the concrete is actually high and dry at "high water". It has performed well as a foundation for my 8X12 stick built wooden garden shed.

the pier idea is the best idea it will keep the framing up out of teh wet and allow for circulation underneath. you other option is to do a slab on grade with a concrete curb. just be sure to add a fair amount of surge and 3/4 stone to allow for drainage.

the plastic sheds are really flimsy, a friend bought one last month and needed a hand putting it together. it still needs either a level gravel base or a wood frame floor to rest on. with my experience i give it one really good wind storm or a good solid kick to break it. not something you want if your going to be storing anything of value in the shed
    fire up the saw and make some dust

My house sets on piers, plopped atop the ground, and has been happily setting there since 1920. We have a very high water table. So I know piers can work just fine, plus you'll get some storage under the shed for things that can get wet, like plastic pipe and misbehaving children.

If wind / tornado is a consideration, think about strapping that puppy to the ground.

hey thanks guys. there is standing water NEAR where the shed would go, but i can move the shed about 2 feet to the left of where the old one wasand the standing water is a moot point. i know if i dig down about 2ft i will hit water, learned that putting in posts for a garden fence. It had been suggested to me to do pier but i was wondering if the weight of the shed would eventually sink them into the ground. so basically i could get someone who knows what they are doing with concrete and be ok or go the more inexpensive route of piers and still be ok. good to know, and me...wood construction all the way! better selection in sizing and the plastic ones seem to be more expensive (can get an 8x8 wood for 600 and the same size in plastic is 1,000). i would definitely secure it, winds and tornado not really a concern just seems...better? in my mind:-) thanks agin guys much appreciated!!

oh yes and level ground:-)

In the garden section of Home Burrito you will find "trailer pads" They are 16" square, 4" thick, reinforced ceement pads used to keep a mobile home from sinking into the ground. The pyramid shaped ceement blocks with the notched tops go on top of the trailer pads. Those can take a lot of weight. With a shed such as yours, one on each corner should do the trick.

awesome! Thanks:-) seems like now i wont have to wait until i can afford to work on the yard to get a shed! (and maybe ill be able to enjoy my screened in prch finally!)

erika newark de usa