+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tile before or after installing cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Then you've not been around too many pros nor housing projects ...

As I said, you'll find it just about a 50/50 split between those who do it before and those who do it after. Neither way is more "right" or "professional" than the other. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    All I know is it takes more effort and futzing to tile after than to tile before. Tiling after never looks as good, maybe I should have said that the difference between tiling after and before is the difference in the quality of the job. You are correct that a "Pro" might do it either way but the professional looking job will be both the neatest and most efficient. tiling first!

Quote Originally Posted by was98strat View Post
    but the professional looking job will be both the neatest and most efficient. tiling first!
    What are you basing your poorly formed opinion on? Pre/post cabinet tiling has nothing to do with neatness and efficiency. A professional tile installer who knows what they're doing will provide a top quality job no matter which way the tile is installed.

Efficient? Efficient for whom, the tile installer or the people who have to work over the finished floor? Sure, the tile guy might be able to get in and out faster, but working over a finished surface slows any other trades that must work in the area, not only by the restrictions of freshly laid tile and grout, but they must also now be careful not to damage the floor with the work that they're doing. You're trading labor savings in one area (the tile ) and burning it in another (everyone else ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I absolutely agree that tiling before or after cabinets is a matter of personal preference, and there is no one right way or one wrong way of doing it.

Personally I prefer to tile before setting cabinets, but that is my choice. There are ways to protect the freshly laid tiles, if needed. That is not a problem.

Others may prefer to fit in the tiles after the cabinets are in, and that's fine too. And making them look professional is not a difficult task.

My brother-in-law didn't tile, he poured concrete (colored and stamped) over the wood subfloor. It's about an inch-and-a-half thick. It looked pretty good.

I didn't ask him if he removed the cabinets before pouring the floor. I'm guessing he probably did; that thickness is pretty significant.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    tiling before or after cabinets is a matter of personal preference, and there is no one right way or one wrong way of doing it.
    What? You mean it can be a preference and not an absolute? Say it ain't so!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce,

This is still the land of the free, even though many freedoms have been taken away from the middle class.

Still free to tile before or after. Your choice. But once you choose, you must live by your choice. Choose what you like, then like what you chose.

That was actually a joke at was98strat's expense, who seems delusioned that tiling before is an absolute.

Spruce,

I know you were kidding.

I know when you're kidding and when you're not. I can read you like a book...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Spruce,

I know you were kidding.

I know when you're kidding and when you're not. I can read you like a book...

Pppssshhhhttt! I'm not THAT easy!

Spruce,

I'm only using a little psych 101.