+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tile before or after installing cabinets

I tile first, but with a few 'twists'. There are usually a few bad or damaged tiles in any given room-sized batch. These work great where they won't be seen like under cabinets, dishwashers and stoves.I like a full tile job because it protects the floor under it from water damage- sooner or later plumbing will leak and I'd rather have it on top of the tile than going into the wood under it. With an 'after cabinet' job you can have a lake up to the thickness of the tile and not know it's there until the cabinets have to be pulled to do floor repairs which will also include some re-tiling where the wood under them took a soaking. If you know the cabinet layout (and at that point you should), you can arrange the tile layout to avoid slivers and noticeable tapers. Then the cuts will all be on the edges and don't call for perfection, as they are hidden under the baseboards and shoe molding adding speed to the tiler's job.

Do keep a few spare tiles on hand for repairs- these things vary from batch to batch so a replacement (if you can find it) isn't going to match well. Accidents do occasionally happen but I won't tolerate workers who don't respect and protect the other trades work- including tile floors. If they aren't fit to work over a finished floor they shouldn't be on the jobsite in the first place! And you've already heard about the dishwasher/ stove issues in an 'after cabinet' tile job- they cannot happen if you tile first!

Now that the full picture is seen, doesn't it make you wonder why anyone would want to tile after the cabinets are in if they can do it first? it may be that there is a 50/50 'opinion' on this, but half of those people are simply wrong and now you know why!

If they aren't fit to work over a finished floor they shouldn't be on the jobsite in the first place!

Amen,

Its also easier to measure for the fridge and upper cabinets if you have a finished floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Now that the full picture is seen, doesn't it make you wonder why anyone would want to tile after the cabinets are in if they can do it first? it may be that there is a 50/50 'opinion' on this, but half of those people are simply wrong and now you know why!
    You are such a trouble maker!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You are such a trouble maker!
    Why, THANK YOU One must have something to do to stave off boredom I guess When opinions on "best methods" are varied, it either indicates that someone is biased to one side or the other (ie a tiler or a cabinet installer) or that they haven't thought deeply enough. The biggest gripe I have with people in the building trades is that most of them see [I]only [I] their own job- and not how it will affect other trades or the rest of the project.

A farmer once told me that if the cows were laying down it meant rain, but if they were standing it wouldn't rain. I asked him "What if half are standing and half are laying down" He smiled and said "That means half the cows are stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    A farmer once told me that if the cows were laying down it meant rain, but if they were standing it wouldn't rain. I asked him "What if half are standing and half are laying down" He smiled and said "That means half the cows are stupid!"
    Ah, yes, but which half?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Allow me to make a huge contribution here:

If the farmer wishes rain, the cows standing up are stupid.

But if he wishes no rain, then the cows sitting down are stupid.

I see a flaw with MasterCarpentry's analogy. Cows aren't stupid, sheep on the other hand ...

I install cabinets in new houses (yes there are a few still being built) as well as remodels. I personally prefer to do it when the tile is in first for two reasons one I don't have to do any build up only level with shims. second if they ever replace the cabinets and change the design of the kitchen the tile doesn't have to be replaced. on the other hand some people are very dollar concious and don't want to spend money on tile that is totally burried. and if a sink leaks with the tile all the way under the cabinet if they don't notice the leak and fix the leak it really doesn't matter if the tile goes all the way back or not the floor will still get rotted out. I have repaird kitchens both ways in the last month alone, so that part isn't a real factor. keep in mind there is always more then one way to skin a cat and it doesn't matter as long as the cat gets skinned. (unless of course you are the cat)

When I tile first, with the cabinets out, I use left over or cut tiles under where the new cabinet will rest and level them with the rest of the field tiles. Just set them in thinset.

This way I don't waste new tiles and I find a good use for the cut pieces. And when I place the cabinets on top of them, you can't tell. In the dishwasher slot I make sure the dishwasher legs don't run into them, but rest on top of them.

It's functional and it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I see a flaw with MasterCarpentry's analogy. Cows aren't stupid, sheep on the other hand ...

Always remember- Sheep tell lies
    I can't retell that joke here, but if you know it As to which half of the cows are stupid, it's always that half yonder or the other half. See how easy it is to always be smarrt lyke eye iz?