+ Reply to Thread

Default Which circuit to choose?

Hi, I am planning to install two ceiling fans in a covered and partially enclosed porch. Here is my question. There is a GFI outlet on the porch which I can tie into however this outlet is on the same circuit as the adjacent family room receptacles where my big screen LCD TV, home theatre, a floor lamp, etc. are found. I can also fairly easily run a line from the adjacent basement receptacles circuit which are very rarely used. So should I tie in to the lesser used circuit? or go with the GFI on the more heavily used circuit? I have used power tools, etc. off of the porch GFI while the TV, etc. are all on without any problems. The reason I ask is that it would be a bit easier tying into the GFI circuit and I like the idea of the fans being on the same circuit as the porches GFI outlet. BTW, both are 15 amp circuits. Thanks.

Default Re: Which circuit to choose?

Ideally it would be best to run a new circuit from the panel to supply the fans and possibly another receptacle.

Barring that , I would personally choose the second choice of tying into the less frequent used receptacles from the basement. Less chance of overloading the circuit as well as reducing any chance of *noise* being introduced into the circuit for more critical items like your audio / video equipment , from the fan motors.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks Canuk. I just spoke w/ a retired electrician in my neighborhood..and he told me the same thing.

I also agree with canuk..... If you have a crawl space, run some NM cable from your breaker panel (15 amp)and use a junction box, I suggest using THHN wire inside the junction box.... Remember: Use a GFCI, and a cover for the j-box.