+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical wiring

Is it ever appropriate to attach the black and white wires together when putting in new lighting? I was of the opinion that the white is your continuous line coming into the house and the black is the "hot" wire, black to black and white to white. Thank you.

Default Re: electrical wiring

Pgraham, because two wire romex (and MC cable) only comes with a black & a white the Code allows us to "re-identify" the white wire with tape or paint etc. to show that it is being used as a hot conductor, if need be.

This allowed us to use two conductor romex to feed a switch. However, a new 2011 Code "rule" will require a neutral in virtually every switchbox, whether it is used or not. So, three wire will be required (for switched legs)when adopted by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) and "painting" the white wire black will no longer be needed, for that reason.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

As Semi stated. You will generally find a redesignated white wire in residential switch loops. The white is connected to a hot wire and feeds one side of a switch, the black wire in the same cable is then used as a return to the light fixture hot connection..

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

P. Graham:

In the situation described by the previous posters, the white wires should be marked as being hot in some way. Look for any black markings on the white wire, or even for a piece of electrical tape in the electrical box that may have fallen off the white wire.

However, I can't envision any situation where it's appropriate to connect a black wire DIRECTLY TO a white wire. If I saw such a thing, I'd want to carefully check that wiring to see what was done and why. There's no telling what a previous homeowner might have done with your wiring given ample opportunity and unhindered access.

Are you blowing fuses or tripping breakers anywhere in your house?
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.