+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Woodpecker holes in wood exterior

May sound like a silly question, but I has some pesky woodpeckers, drill holes in the exterior wood siding on the house. I would like to get them filled and then painted over, but the holes still show up under the paint. Is there a way to patch the holes so you don't see them as much?

Default Re: Woodpecker holes in wood exterior

They cut knots out of the plys of plywood and fill them with a product called "water putty" because water putty shrinks very little as it dries.

If you fill those holes with water putty, allow to dry, fill in the shrinkage with another coat of water putty, allow to dry, sand smooth, prime and paint, then the repair should be invisible.

You could do a similar thing with a latex caulk, but latex caulk shrinks quite a bit as it dries and you can't really sand it. Just apply the caulk with a putty knife to the holes, allow it to dry and fill in the shrinkage using another coat of caulk applied with a putty knife. Then paint.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

You don't state whether your siding is smooth or textured. Smooth siding is relatively easy to patch and have the patch appear like the surrounding wood. Textured siding, such as rough cut cedar, requires a little more effort to match the texture.

My favorite patching material was regular old Bondo, the same stuff you patch the dings in your car's fenders. Minwax has a similar product designed for filling wood, but it is more expensive . As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is that Minwax has a wood tone color.

Bondo is a catalized resin which dries within minutes. It can be sanded and does not schrink, nor does it swell in the presence of water.

When filling holes in rough textured surfaces, I surround the hole with masking tape. This prevents the needless filling of the texture surrounding the hole. If the woodpecker hole or missing knot hole is large, I drive several small finishing nails around the inside of the hole to aid in supporting the Bondo until it sets. Upon applying the last coat of Bondo, I drag a toothed putty knife over the surface to simulate the rough texture of the siding. I use a plastic putty knife in which I have cut a toothed pattern with a file. The masking tape is then pulled before the Bondo has set.

A patch on smooth siding can be simply filled with a spackle knife and then sanded smooth to the level of the smooth siding.

This is just way too funny.

First, i would get rid of the woodpecker. make sure it found a new place to drill.

Then fix the holes as recommended by the previous posters.

Once I was visiting in Florida, and I saw a woodpecker on a METAL electric pole, beating his beak on the metal, for a long, long time. Seems like it was blessed with the ability to drill, but not blessed with any brains...