+ Reply to Thread

Question How do you clean Craftsman Fireplace Tile?

We have a 1918 Craftsman-style bungalow with the original fireplace tile. It has years of soot & dirt buildup. How can we clean it without damaging? It appears unglazed (i.e. no shine) and has a textured surface.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by wearethrifty; 06-26-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: To identify this as a question

Default Re: Cleaning Craftsman Fireplace Tile

I usually clean fireplace brick using one of the common household detergents such as Soilax or Dirtex. I will load the solution into a pressure spray bottle. The trick is to start at the bottom and work your way up. Keep a block sponge and bucket of clean water handy to constantly be wiping and rinsing the dirty water up before it runs down the brick. DON'T start at the top, as the dirty water will run down the dry brick/tile and possible make permanent streaks.

Bottom up is how walls were commonly washed in the old days so as to avoid streaking. Back when everyone was burning coal, walls would be washed almost yearly to remove the airborn soot which accumulated on walls.

Small 2 quart pressure sprayers can be bought at your local homeowners store in the garden department. They are commonly used for spraying garden plants.