+ Reply to Thread

Default Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

We just had engineered hardwood flooring installed a couple of days ago. When I looked at it after the installers had left, I noticed that there was gapping between the boards all over the place - the boards weren't butted up tight to each other (inconsistent - some places were OK, some were not). I understood that with tongue and groove the boards should be tight together. It looks like they didn't tap them together enough. I have questioned the company, and they say this is "normal" for engineered hardwood installation and that the gaps will be filled with putty. What the heck - so my new wood floor is going to look like it has been grouted? We were opting for a natural finish - no stain. How can this possibly turn out OK? All my research has lead me to believe that the boards should have been butted up tightly together. I understand that over time and with changes in humidity a SOLID wood floor can gap, etc, but this engineered flooring is supposed to be very stable and have very little to no gapping over time. I really don't think that we should be starting out with gaps. I am so disappointed and unhappy - I just feel sick. Am I right?

Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

you are correct, there should be no gap between boards. the only gap should be at the perimeter of the room so to allow for a small amount of movement, this gap should be no more than 3/8"

now one thing i have run into is some engineered hardwood isnt milled very well and it doesnt go toghether properly which will leaves gaps, if this was the case the installer should have brought it to your attention immediatlely along with the supplier. had they done this you could have had a suitable replacement to remedy this
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

100% ditto on what jkirk said