+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy broken sink drain

I was replacing our old sink vanity and found that the PVC drain pipe was attached to an old and rusted metal drain pipe going into the floor. It broke off at the floor. I don't know how far the rust goes down the pipe. Should I tear up the floor and replace the whole pipe?

Default Re: broken sink drain

If you can post a picture? There may be a easier fix then breaking up the floor. I assume your on a slab.

John

Old 1921 town house; 2nd floor bathroom. Having trouble uploading the image from my phone. Here goes... [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Lowlita\My Documents\Home Projects\broken sink drain.jpg[/IMG]

Posting a photo is not working for me. Can't figure it out. Taking suggestions.

GumbyD:

You've loaded the image onto your home computer, but our computers can't access the files on your computer.

You need to either load the image onto your web site (if you have one) or else open an account with an image hosting web site like www.photobucket.com and upload the image to that web site so that we can all see it.

It only takes one day to register on an image hosting web site, it's usually free, and the instructions for uploading images are pretty straight forward. If you need to have this kind of service available to you now, you'll undoubtedly need it again and again and again.

You mentioned that this is in the bathroom on the 2nd floor. Do you know what's exactly under the bathroom? a bedroom, the living room, etc?

Maybe you can gain access from the 1st floor ceiling. Once you gently cut the ceiling drywall, you can determine the condition of your drain, assess the situation and decide what to do next.

I have uploaded pictures of my broken sink drain to snapfish; however, I am not allowed to post photos until I have at least 10 posts on TOH discussions, which I do not. I was able to break up the floor tile to expose the pipe in the floor. It's an old galvanized pipe; it curves up and has a nut around the opening that is part of the pipe itself; cannot be removed. It's a good pipe; however, I went to the hardware store and talked to someone in plumbing. I got the pieces of PVC that I need and they told me I should be able to sand down the outside of the PVC to make it fit down into the old pipe and attach the drain from there up. They told me that the PVC cement would adhere to anyting, but there is only about 1/2 inch of the PVC pipe going into the old pipe and it is not secure. Now what do I do? What can I use to to make it secure?

I'd cut off the rusted ragged end of the pipe and use a fernco fitting to attach the new pvc. It's a quick fix, surprised the nimnul at your hardware store didn't suggest it.
    Ideally you would unthread to the next fitting and replace that section of pipe with new galvanized or pvc.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by GumbyD View Post
    I have uploaded pictures of my broken sink drain to snapfish; however, I am not allowed to post photos until I have at least 10 posts on TOH discussions, which I do not. I was able to break up the floor tile to expose the pipe in the floor. It's an old galvanized pipe; it curves up and has a nut around the opening that is part of the pipe itself; cannot be removed. It's a good pipe; however, I went to the hardware store and talked to someone in plumbing. I got the pieces of PVC that I need and they told me I should be able to sand down the outside of the PVC to make it fit down into the old pipe and attach the drain from there up. They told me that the PVC cement would adhere to anyting, but there is only about 1/2 inch of the PVC pipe going into the old pipe and it is not secure. Now what do I do? What can I use to to make it secure?
    LOL ----- sounds like rock solid information given
    PVC cement is really a solvent which welds ( or fuses ) PVC materials together not an adhesive that would adhere to anything.

You should be using a coupler to join the two pipes.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thumbs up Re: broken sink drain

I got everything fixed, put the cabinet in and had no cold water! Didn't have any to start with, but I thought replacing the hose would do the trick. I gave up and called the plumber. He replaced both hot and cold water valves and hoses & had to cut pipe in the basement and repair a section that was clogged and preventing cold water from making its way upstairs. Just glad it's over! Thanks to all your help.