+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Repairing Strike Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post

Reattach your strike plate with longer screws.

Can't get much simpler than that.
    Nestor has the best answer. I do a fair number of rentals in bad areas where the doors get kicked in. If the wood is still there some glue and my finish nailer fix that, and the long screws (like deck framing screws)go into the framing ensuring that I won't be fixing it again. If the wood is gone (and for general purpose hole filling under paint or where it will be hidden) I use 'wood-grade bondo' mixed hot so I can work it without waiting. It's messy and won't hold a screw well by itself but as a filler it's great. From what I can understand here, the issue is under the strike so this fix will work for a stain-finish jamb. If you haven't used this stuff before, 'play with' a few batches of it on junk to learn, and clean off any excess just as it gets rubbery as it sets up- once dry it's forever. It drills and sands like a softer wood using wood tools- no metal-working tools needed.

Master Carpentry:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I wouldn't have devoted so much time to the toughened epoxy solution unless I felt it was the best choice.

The longer screws are just the fastest, easiest and simplest solution, which seemed to be what was in vogue at the time.
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-30-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Im with Spruce,,,,,except I use golf tee's and glue.

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content