+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Room Dividers

Default Room Dividers

Hello Everyone,
    I am working on my house and need to add architecture (if that is even the correct word.) I would love to add an archway in between my dining room and living room. There is presently nothing there. This Old House had an issue where they created one and I lost my copy!

I am open to any kind of built in room divider.

Also if I am calling this 'room divider' by the wrong name and it is called something else please let me know!

Cottage Girl

Default Re: Room Dividers

You are only limited by your imagination. I would recommend looking at architectural details in home improvement magazines and websites, find something you like, then replicate it in your home.

Arches aren't overly difficult to build, particularly if they're not structural. I would also suggest the inclusion of some columns to support the arch, and possible a half wall between the arch and the connecting walls.

Another option would be to do the half wall and columns with no arch, which will keep the space open and airy, yet still define two unique areas.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for your reply! I will check different places out for ideas. Do you have any favorites that you could recommend? Otherwise I will keep looking! Thanks again!

Cottagegirl

When it includes a pair of columns, it's a colonnade. When it is comprised of two or more arches, it's an arcade. That's where the word came from.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by cottagegirl View Post
    Thank you for your reply! I will check different places out for ideas. Do you have any favorites that you could recommend? Otherwise I will keep looking! Thanks again!

Cottagegirl
    None in particular. I don't look through such things very often, but almost every magazine has something on home decor and such. Google search the words that Casey just recommended will provide quite a few things to look at for ideas.

Keep in mind, you don't have to find the EXACT thing, use all of the images for ideas of what will work in your space and what won't. For instance, if you've got a craftsman style home, columns will be fine if you keep them in a craftsman style, rather than say a colonial or plantation style column. Understand? Use moldings and trims in the same manner. This also goes back to what I said earlier about using columns alone, without an arch. It completely depends on the environment and the feel you're going for.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!