+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Smooth exit for real estate brokers

I am a licensed real estate agent. I procured the license sometime back. However, after entering the real estate trade, meeting the people, and learning the trends and tricks of the trade, I realized that I am not cut out for the trade. But I do not wish to give up my license. Is there some way by which I can keep earning something from the real estate business without being an active agent?

Default Re: Smooth exit for real estate brokers

You could offer real estate counseling to FSBO's and investors. Both need a way to comp homes value, get tips on preparing to sell, pitfalls when buying, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Needham, MA

Default Re: Smooth exit for real estate brokers

that's a tough question....i'm an active real estate agent but i do 20 times less in real estate than i did 5-6 years ago. in order to keep your license current, you have to take 12 hours of continuing education every other year. there's many people who do real estate part time. if you don't mind keeping up with your legal fees and being associated with an office, you can basically do as little as you want. without putting alot of effort into it, i sold 14 houses in 2007, 3 in 2008 and 2 so far this year. i've been to one office meeting in the past 2-3 years, i actually go into my office about once every other month or so and i have done 1 open house in the past 3 years. i still manage to work full time as a contractor, basically when someone approaches me to buy a house, i tell them what i do for work and how real estate has become a part time thing for me and i haven't had any complaints yet. so, aside from working part time in real estate, the license isn't of much use to keep up with. the only other thing i can think of is working for a property management company, the license might help you get the job, but i can't see it being of any value after that.