+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unique Ice Dam over Sunroom - Please Help!

Hello. I have a 12' x 16' sunroom with a metal roof that leaks in the winter, when snow starts to melt. I think the problem is due to an ice dam. The metal roof of the sunroom connects to the house immediately below a section of shingled roofing.

I know why ice dams occur, but what can I do to stop this one? It's a nightmare when the roof leaks in the winter. I would definitely appreciate your suggestions!

Here are 4 pictures of the sunroom roof. I've included labels to help with the diagnosis.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparke60/5860639051/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparke6...in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparke6...n/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparke6...n/photostream/

Question Re: Unique Ice Dam over Sunroom - Please Help!

Also, I know that proper ventilation can prevent ice dams, but my house has an odd ventilation system for the attic spaces. There are ridge vents on every ridge, and gable vents on every side, but no soffit vents. As seen in the pictures above, there is no room for soffit vents on the back of the house. Here is a picture of the front of the house, which I think could receive soffit vents. I don't know if this would even help my particular problem, or if soffit vents on the side opposite my probelm would even matter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jparke60/5862220266/

Default Re: Unique Ice Dam over Sunroom - Please Help!

My recommendation is to dopeslap the guy who designed this mess.

You're right about the path of the water. IMHO the fix would be to tear off the shingled roof to find out how far up the metal roof waterproofing goes. Since its metal and every nail pokes a hole in it, I'd be looking seriously at removing that too. Grace's ice shield will work on the lower 3+ feet of the shingled section. The flat section you have some choices.

Are there puddles on the flat roof?

How deep does the snow get?

First thing I'd try was moving the downspout over so it spilled into the gutter, not onto the metal roof. That extra water is certainly making matters worse.
    Have you considered taking up the shingles and applying Grace Ice & Water Shield to the entire roof then re-shingling? That material would probably help a lot if the metal pans of the roof extend far enough up to be sealed on to. If the metal does not extend up under the shingles, I think the 100% solution is farther away from you; it would mean extending the metal solidly, not just overlapping a little flashing, but extensions that were really sealed down tight.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

My guess is that the leak is at the junction of the metal roof and the house. The metal roof is fairly flat. I am guessing that the snow melts faster on the asphalt roof and runs down on a frozen metal roof. The water backs up under the shingles and down behind the metal drip edge. Also in the one picture it looks like the junction is poorly caulked.

I would first seal the junction with roofing tar going at least half way up the drip edge, then seal the bottom of the asphalt shingles to the roof, and keep the metal roof cleared of snow.

If that doesn't work get someone in to do a proper installation.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your replies! In a couple years, when I can afford it, I plan on getting a new roof for the whole house. In the meantime, tearing off the old shingles on this small section, adding the Grace water & ice shield, and then replacing the shingles may be my best bet. I'd have to learn more about applying the Grace product, especially how far down to apply it where the shingled area meets the metal roof. Any suggestions?

@HoustonRemodeler - Trust me, I've wanted to slap the previous owners about once a month since I moved in! There aren't puddles on the roof when it rains. The roof doesn't have a steep slope, but it has enough of a slope so that rain rolls off, into the gutter. The leak/ice dam was the worst last winter, when we got a lot of snow over a very short period of time. The snow was probably close to 1 foot deep.

@Sombreuil_mongrel - I agree that moving the downspout over would help. I have no previous experience with gutters or downspouts, but connecting a bit more downspout and positioning it properly shouldn't be too hard. Do you think it matters that the small piece of gutter is so short? Assuming that I keep the short piece of gutter cleaned out, would there be a chance that it would overflow as it receives water, since it's so short?

@JLMMCDANIEL - I agree that the caulking doesn't look the greatest, but I've sprayed the area with a hose, and I can't recreate the leak, so that's why I'm thinking that the leak is occurring up under the shingles. As far as removing the snow, I would be willing to, if it weren't so dangerous. I would have to climb a ladder, placed on a snowy, icy deck, and then try to remove the snow. If the roof was steeper, it would be a possibility, but its relative shallow slope makes it too difficult.

The Grace Ice shield is like a 3 foot wide piece of very sticky tar-like tape. Overlap the very well cleaned metal roof enough to cover the nail holes in the metal roof. Apply new shingles over the ice shield.

Howdy, the metal roof is it over an enclosed room? You may have several issues such as no ventilation of the metal roof. is the comp roof vented above the metal roof at the soffit, overhang where they join? If no soffit vents be sure to check out you attic to make sure the comp singles area is not rotting from moisture too.
    Ice and water guard is a great product. I would suggest you remove 3' of the 3 tab comp roof and the felt. Thne add at the junction of the roof decking and the metal roof a 20" wide metal flashing installing it so 8"is on the roof deck and rest is on the metal roof. Nail the 20 " wide flashing about every 6 "- 1" from the top edge of the flashing. With no nails into the metal roofing. ( i would also run a heavy bead of 50 year silicone caulk about 3" up under the flashing on the metal roof. Then install the ice and water guard Start the ice an water guard at the edge of the comp roof over lapping the new flashing 8"- with a helper to help remove the plastic wrap so the ice and water guard does not wad up on you as it sticks to its self better then any thing else. Then at the top of the ice and water guard be sure it is laid under the existing roof felt at least 3 " so the roof will shed water at the intersection of the old felt and the new ice and water guard & install the 3' of 3 tab new shingles. But better would be to remove all the 3 tab comp shingles to the ridge cap and install new felt over the ice and water guard and roof deck then re shingle. This complete slope re shingle will last 20 year and eliminates potential leak at the old to new ice an water guard intersection.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    First thing I'd try was moving the downspout over so it spilled into the gutter, not onto the metal roof. That extra water is certainly making matters worse.
    Have you considered taking up the shingles and applying Grace Ice & Water Shield to the entire roof then re-shingling? That material would probably help a lot if the metal pans of the roof extend far enough up to be sealed on to. If the metal does not extend up under the shingles, I think the 100% solution is farther away from you; it would mean extending the metal solidly, not just overlapping a little flashing, but extensions that were really sealed down tight.
    Casey
    I agree that moving the downspout over would help. I have no previous experience with gutters or downspouts, but connecting a bit more downspout and positioning it properly shouldn't be too hard. Do you think it matters that the small piece of gutter is so short? Assuming that I keep the short piece of gutter cleaned out, would there be a chance that it would overflow as it receives water, since it's so short?

Arrow Re: Unique Ice Dam over Sunroom - Please Help!

@TimothyMiller - The metal roof is over a sunroom. It's a very thin metal roof over what is basically an enclosed glass porch. Some people call the room a 3-seasons room, because it's way too cold to be out there in the winter. The ceiling in the sunroom is a sloped metal underside of the roof, with a different, interior finish. There's no attic/crawl space under the metal roof where insulation could be placed. If you have a chance to look at the photos I've posted above, you can see that unfortunately there is nowhere to place soffit vents on that side of the house either. I would have never had the room constructed like this, but since the previous owners were clueless, I've got to make due with what I've got and get this annoying leak taken care of.

It sounds like the ice and water guard has a great reputation, and it doesn't sound too complicated to install. My last question is do I have to remove all of the shingles for the whole roof, or will the 3 feet be adequate to fix this problem? I will be getting a whole new roof in the next couple years, but it's definitely not in the budget before next winter.

Thanks for your help!