+ Reply to Thread

Default Portable A/C stopped evaporating?

I have a AMCOR ALD12000E Portable AC that is supposed to evaporate most of condensation/water, overflow goes in bottom pan for draining. It worked great for about 2 seasons. During this 'working' time the drain pan never filled up; however the first time I tried it this season and every time thereafter, it cooled fine but the drain pan fills up every 1-3 hours (depending on temp/humidity). I am hoping that something is just clogged so I can fix it.

Yesterday, I opened up the case and ran it for a while.
    I would like to post a picture, but it seems you can't attach a picture or include a link unless you have 10 previous posts.
    An l1nk is shown below that can be used if you copy to a browser and replace DOT and FOWARDSLASH accordingly. Without the picture the rest of my message may be hard to follow.
    i54DOTtinypicDOTcomFOWARDSLASH2i8i41yDOTjpg
    It cooled fine but the bottom pan filled up. The cold top coils were cold and the side hot coils were hot. The odd thing is I couldn't see where the water slowly filling the bottom pain was coming from. All the 'pans' in the picture were dry except the bottom one. That one hose (clear plastic near top, then covered in black insulation) from the top cold-coil pan to the bottom drain pain didn't appear to be carrying any water, but I am guessing that this is probably the overflow hose so I don't think this is a problem. Oddly I poured 1/2 L of water in to the top cold-coil drip pan and still could not see any water in that hose, though it did make its way to the bottom pan somehow.

I guess my first question is how is this system supposed to work? There are cold coils at the top with air intake at the back and hot coils on the right side, with their own intake vents, lower than the cold coils. Underneath the top cold coils there's a something like a drip pan with the clear hose but the connection (for the condensation?) between the hot/cold coil sections is hidden/not accessible. Also the hose connection to the top is also not visible.

I would guess that the condensation from the cold coils is supposed to fall into/over hot coils (to be evaporated), the clear hose is for overflow. I guess it could also be possible that the hose is actually supposed to draw water up in to the hot coils (but this seems unlikely).

My second question is, how can I fix this ?

Default Re: Portable A/C stopped evaporating?

I don't know exactly how your unit is set up as I can't find your pics. Usually there may be an element be it electric or the liquid side (small copper pipe) that runs under the drain pan to evaporate the condensate. Because you say your unit runs fine but the condensate won't evaporate I'm guessing it's electric and the element has seen better days. To check this you can remove the electric element, with the unit unplugged, and with a multi meter set to ohms put one lead at one end of the element and the other at the other end. If you see numbers or get a reading as it's called it's good. If you get nothing it has to be replaced. Good Luck
    Last edited by Sten; 06-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.

I went ****** and looked at your unit, there's a drain plug at the rear, remove it and see if it drains, if it doesn't then check for a plugged drain line

Sten,
    Thanks for the reply and doing the work to get to the picture. Re. your second response, it drains fine into the bottom pan and I can drain it out if I want through the plug. The issue is why it stopped evaporating. In your first post you said to look for an electric element. I had been assuming that the evaporating was done via the hot coils seen on the right of the picture (which do still get hot), which I also assumed were just the hot side of a standard A/C possibly tweaked to facilate evaporation. I don't see any other heating element.

The odd thing is that I can't see how the water is getting to the drain pan. It is not going through the hose and doesn't look like it is falling into the section of the bottom pan that is beneath the hot coils.

If I had to guess I would say that there's a hidden condensate drip connection between the top cold coils and the hot side coils that is clogged, but in reality I'm not sure how the system works so that is a shot in the dark.

I couldn't get to the pics that you posted so I googled your unit via the model no. you gave and posted what I found. It doesn't say anything about an electric element to evaporate the condensate but say's and shows the drain plug and how it works. When I first posted about the electric element I hadn't done the search, however that is how many c-sate pans rid themselves of the c-sate.
    If the coils are doing the evaporation they should be running under the drain pan, it would not be made so the c-sate drips onto the coils

Thanks Sten for the info.
    The picture is still there (need to replace DOT by . and FORWARDSLASH by / (needed to do this because you're allowed to post links and pictures yet unless you have 10 total posts).

That is very intersting information regarding how the c-sate evaporation usually works (via drip pan); however, I'm sure this is not the case for this unit for two reasons.
    1) The bottom pan (where the drain plug is located) is plastic, which wouldn't be used if it is to be heated up or near a heat source.
    2) The bottom pan (where the drain plug is) is totally open at the top like a baking pan (not sealed) and basically sits under everything and therefore has no connection to the exhaust hose.

I saw your picture, sorry but it doesn't show anything but what appears to be the back of the unit minus the cover.