+ Reply to Thread

Default storage above stairs

Our entry hall has a 20 foot ceiilng - we would like to add additional storage space - we would start the flooring about 10 ft up (plan on using 2x6's for support and 3/4 '' plywood for the floor)it;s going up the stairs so the total length might be around 10ft - any suggestions will be appreciated - Thanks John B

Default Re: storage above stairs

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Are there solid walls on both sides of the stair? How wide is that? Are you planning on finishing the bottom, and if so what with?

On a normal width stair 2X6 should do fine. I'd lag in plates (same dimension as floor) to the studs (or rim joist if at floor level) then use a ledger board to support the new notched joists. Double the one on the open end. Something to keep in mind is that some building codes may require 8" lumber for a floor system, and an inspector might consider this to be that- especially if access to it is easy. Access is another issue- a ladder on the stair can work but safer would be an access door in one of the side walls- perhaps in the back of am existing closet?

I've seen this done on a small scale above an entry door as a design feature rather than storage. A matching handrail and matching hardwood floor was added and it looked awesome. I asked the homeowner about how his wife was going to clean it since it was inaccessible. He said that was his floor and he would vacuum it off a ladder- it was the only way she'd let him have it built!

Phil