+ Reply to Thread

Question Chimney cap for furnace??

Our home inspector recommended a chimney cap for our gas furnace chimney. Is this a typical practice and/or necessary? What are the potential issues of NOT having a cap?

Default Re: Chimney cap for furnace??

To my knowledge, caps are required on all exhaust type vents. The purpose is two fold, to warn anyone near that it is indeed an exhaust vent and to prevent rain from entering the flue and causing problems with whatever is using the vent.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Not to mention squirrels and birds finding their way in and causing a blockage. Did anyone mention CO detectors?

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Not to mention squirrels and birds finding their way in and causing a blockage. Did anyone mention CO detectors?
    Yes, we have CO detectors in place at the top of the basement stairway where the furnace is located.

We've actually been in the house a year and I decided to go over the inspection report again to see what items still needed to be addressed. The chimney cap was one of the last few items remaining. It was designated as "recommended" as opposed to a necessity which is why I was wondering if it was a standard practice for a furnace chimney. Thanks!

Yes, strongly recommended----for what Spruce and ed21 said, but in addition, particularly if talking about a brick, stone, or masonry chimney, because of the strong tendency of these types to develop hairline cracks in the mortar at the very top and between flue liner & brick course which allows seepage of rain/snow melt to seep down to destroy the mortar seal.

This will cause loose bricks or stones in very short order, requiring re-mortaring (repointing) and even worse, water leakage into the attic & water leaks/stains in nearby ceilings.

Don't even think of buying one of those el-cheapo painted steel models sold at the big box stores, if you decide to buy one--- it will only rust out in short order, and leave an ugly brown rust stain on the brick chimney facing as well as on the shingles, and in some cases, on the siding.

The same stores also carry the STAINLESS STEEL versions, for a few extra $$$, which is the only way to go; the SS will last for many years, look better, and never stain chimney, roof or siding.
    Last edited by Pelton; 06-24-2011 at 10:41 PM.