Default Making crown fit above windows

Help! I want to put up crown in my new (old) house. However, it is very tall windows, and there is only a strip of wall four inches tall between the top of the window trip and the ceiling. So, once the crown is up there will only be about a one inch strip of wall between the window trim and the bottom of the crown. I am afraid that it won't look right. Any suggestions for a solution? I was thinking of building up the crown with other trim to make it essentially 'rest' on the top of the window trim. Any other ideas?

Default Re: Making crown fit above windows

You can do that all around the room or only above the winders. Whatever looks better to you.

It might look good if you stop the crown above the casings for the windows leaving the open space above the window.

If you don't like the bare space could you carry the window casings higher with a frame and panel and then run the crown over that?

the cleanest look would be to install a flat stock for the tops of the window trim treatment, but the side casing up to it like you would for a boston header. from there make the neccessary joinery to carry teh crown all the way around.

its the cleanest looking way to continue it all the way around
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    the cleanest look would be to install a flat stock for the tops of the window trim treatment, but the side casing up to it like you would for a boston header. from there make the necessary joinery to carry the crown all the way around.

its the cleanest looking way to continue it all the way around
    Agreed, but you can 'cheat' a similar look by just finishing the wall above the window same as the window. If stained glue up a thin veneer and run the crown straight over it- nobody will notice the thin crack as the crown lifts to cross the veneer. If painted, just paint the space with the window. If you paint the crown the same color as the window it will look great and be super-easy to do. Now if you're a jointery-nut like me you'll do the Boston header- complete with scrolled sides- just because you can!

Phil

If you have fancy trim around the window you can do a return on the crown on each side of the window.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb