+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wiring postlight with photocell and outlet

I just bought a post light that comes with a photocell and outlet. I'm confused about how to wire it. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Wiring postlight with photocell and outlet

If you have no knowledge in how to wire an outdoor light post, you better get a pro to do it.
    This is not a project for the unskilled DIY and even if we give you step by step instructions, it won't be a good idea.

The first thing to decide is whether you want the outlet to be controlled by the photocell or always on.

Second would be if the post light is switched from inside the house or not.

Let us know and we can help

Generally you follow the instructions that come with the unit, if you can't get someone that can.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The power source comes straight from the panel. I would like the outlet to be live all the time. I read the instructions, but the written instructions were different then the diagram.

Lamar, post the manufacturer, the model number, and where you purchased it so we can look up the information. We can't see what you have or what the instructions say.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Since the post will be 'hot wired', the outlet gets the usual black wire to the brass colored screw, the white wire to the silver colored screw and the ground to the green screw. OR to the same colored wires.

The same colored wires should go from the outlet to the light; the white wire goes to the lamp white wire or socket, the ground goes to ground (if there is one) and the black goes to the light sensor then to the light socket or its black wire. Think of the photo cell as a light switch that turns the electricity on and off.

Lamar,

It looks like you want to do this project after all.

In that case, if your power supply is at the panel, and the light post is somewhere in the yard, make sure that your wire runs underground, to code. 6" deep below grade if in metal conduit, 18" deep if in PVC conduit and 24" deep if it's unprotected exterior wire.

Is your post the kind that has to be set in concrete? If yes, do the concrete work now, then wait a couple of days to continue. Make sure that your wire is protected inside the concrete and long enough to go into the post later.

Then follow Houston's tips for wiring.

Lamar, in addition to all the other comments, maybe you can save a little bit of trenching if you run direct burial UF cable electrically protected by no more than a 20A 120V GFCI breaker or receptacle.

If such cable is run on a 1 or 2 family location it can be run just 12" below grade. Where the cable emerges from the trench it should be physically protected by a raceway such as PVC conduit.

While not required, I always place a warning tape or 2" wide treated board above the wire.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

The wire and post are already in the ground. I made sure everything was better than code. I just need to connect everything.