+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Leftover Paint Storage

I like the idea of using old golf balls, for easy mixing.

However, I use mostly 5 gal paint containers. So, if I have left over paint, I clean the rim and the lid, lay a piece of 6mm plastic, place the lid and hammer it around. When I want to use it again (in 6 months or less), I take it to the paint store and they shake it for me.

But Spruce, if you want me to shake your leftovers...it could be arranged.

Thanks Nestor!!

Yeah...I only meant it in the most general sense of..."Air is what dries-out paint". So, in a sense, Air is a paints' "Storage enemy"...

So...if there's no "Air", paint doesn't dry out!

Yep...Oils cure out by reacting with Oxygen.

....I may have started a run on canning-jars & golf-balls now?!?!?

Faron

Gil:

You say you've been storing unused paint in cans upside down for years.

What happens if you set one of your cans of oil based paint upside down, and some time later you find that you need to use that same paint?

You don't know if there's a skin formed on that paint inside the can or how strong it is. If you turn the can over, you may end up with the paint breaking through a weak skin inside the can, and then you're gonna have a messy job getting that paint soaked skin outta that can.

I think most people would agree that it's better practice to simply keep some quart size paint cans handy to store smaller quantites of oil based paint and avoid the hassle of having to clean up that kind of a mess every so often.

But, this kind of discussion is good. There are newbie homeowners that come into these forums wanting to learn about everything, including paint. It is only through this kind of frank and honest discussion that they learn enough about all aspects of an issue to walk away with enough information to form their own opinions. In that regard, disagreement amongst us is a good thing.

A. Spruce: Thanks, man. I was just about to start bashing my head over here.
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-18-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Talking Re: Leftover Paint Storage

Jeez, Did I wander into the Chemistry Blog?

"Latex paint has no enemies" Don't preserve it in the freezer!

Seriously, my fanatic brother used to find small rocks in his garden to displace the air out of the paint can.

I seldon bought varnishes in gallon quantities because it was too difficult to keep the solvents from flashing out. Though more expensive, I preferred quarts if I was not going to be using the whole can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_Forbes View Post
    A.Spruce - This point of my suggestion was to ease mixing. I've stored all kinds of paint like this for many years and had NO leaks.
    Just because I disagreed with you doesn't mean I'm wrong. This method may work for you, and that's great, however, my experience with the average DIY'r is that cleanliness is the last thing on their minds while using fresh paint, let alone storage of any extras. I've been given more than one can that's welded shut because of a goo laden lid and can which half the time wasn't sealed anyway. Again, if your method works for you, that's great, but it's not something 99% of the paint using populace is going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Jeez, Did I wander into the Chemistry Blog?
    Boy did YOU just step in it!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I seldon bought varnishes in gallon quantities because it was too difficult to keep the solvents from flashing out. Though more expensive, I preferred quarts if I was not going to be using the whole can.
    Good point, the best way to store paint is to buy what you need and leave the extra at the store.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    A. Spruce: Thanks, man. I was just about to start bashing my head over here.
    No, no! Don't do that! I need your help to keep the others in line!

You do tend to be a little wordy though. For us diehards that's ok, but for most, they want short sentences and paragraphs and quick bullet points of information. As well meaning as a long post can be, they often go unread because of short attention spans ... Oh look, a butterfly!

What was I saying?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!