+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting shutters

I was given shutters a set of shutters, but they do not match the style of color scheme of the home so we would like to paint them. They are plastic so that complicates things. What sort of cleaning and treating is required and what kind of paint shoud I use on them?

Default Re: Painting shutters

C. D. Grapler:

Krylon makes a spray paint called "Fusion" specifally for painting plastics. You should be able to find it at any hardware store or home center.

(It comes in different colours.)

Rustoleum also makes a line of spray paints designed to bond directly to plastic without a primer. Also, its premium "Universal" line of spray paints will bond to plastic. These lines are available at Home Depot.

If you intend to brush, acrylic paints will bond well to most plastics, especially PVC, without a primer. Many shutters are actually painted to the finish color, rather than the color actually being in the plastic. In this case, you are not actually painting the plastic, but its coating.

I've used the Krylon for plastic on shutters and the results were excellent. Even on shutters with southern exposure.