+ Reply to Thread

Default how do i get rid of this smell

we just moved into a house in january and the previous owners had at least one dog that use the boxwood bush right next to the back door as a potty. the entire bush smells like dog urine, is there a way to get rid of the smell cause the bush is a large healthy size and its one of the few planting in the yard. its right next to our patio and back door so the smell isnt going to be very welcome as the weather gets warmer.

Default Re: how do i get rid of this smell

I always thought the normal smell of a boxwood resembled cat urine, so maybe it's just the way it smells.
    Strip off any mulch & replace it if their has any. Don't put too much mulch back on.

I agree with Ed21, I think it is the plant itself that smells. I always thought those things smelled like cat urine.

I used to have a poop-scooping biz in California (for 14+ years), and I always had great results against all odor problems with a product called Nilodor. You mix a little with water, and can use it on any surface. It changes the chemical composition of odor causing bacteria. Give it a try!