+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Managing an uneven window rough opening?

This is a window with a stepped jamb. There is an inner casing against the sash, then another along the plaster, with a 2" step between.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks, Casey. I'm feeling a bit foolish here because I can't seem to view the photo altho I can see the photo icon. Is there something I need to do to view it? Also, I have 5-6 photos but cn't seem to post them or send them via PM. Would anyone be willing to give me their email address and I will send them from my yahoo account? I don't want to violate forum rules, but I can't seem to use the photo functions at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Thanks, Casey. I'm feeling a bit foolish here because I can't seem to view the photo altho I can see the photo icon. Is there something I need to do to view it? Also, I have 5-6 photos but cn't seem to post them or send them via PM. Would anyone be willing to give me their email address and I will send them from my yahoo account? I don't want to violate forum rules, but I can't seem to use the photo functions at all.
    Here's the direct link to the above pic:
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/DSC02875.jpg
    Casey

after seeing the picture, it definitely looks like the window was ordered teh wrong size. height is fine but its way too narrow.

to install it they must have added 2x to the sides so they'd have something to fasten too
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Jkirk,
    The picture is an original stepped jamb in an 1817 house. It's the way they built it. in 1817. With three-brick thick walls, it's typical to either step or splay the jambs so you're not getting a tunnel effect like with straight deep extended jambs.

Casey

ahh.. ok the pic isnt cery close....

if it were me i would have tore out the entire window assembly and reframed the opening as needed. but thats just me, im known to go a little overboard when it comes to being "Captain Overkill"
    fire up the saw and make some dust

That is a really interesting photo, and it looks a lot like my old windows did, right down to the trim!

Anyway, thank you to Jack for offering to post photos for me. Greatly appreciate it and I just sent you some from my yahoo acct. THey show both before and after shots, from inside and out.

My contractor told me that if we switch to pocket windows I should be able to get about 2.5" of additional glass surface (1.25 on either side). We will also add an interior trim to try to replicate the originals. Does this sound like a reasonable solution? Fenster

OK, here's his pictures

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

And this one

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I would have ditched that contractor immediately for two reasons:

One is that there is no can't; there is only "How much will it cost to (fill in the blank)?" When someone says "can't" it means they don't know how or don't want to, so add another "don't" as in don't use them!

Two is that an experienced contractor would have noticed the stepped jamb, explained the options, and helped you choose- then he would have done the measuring to match that choice (even if you told him to measure differently) A good contractor is also good with pleasing people and knows how to work their way around bad advice without hurting anyone's feelings- sometimes that means covering the work up before the homeowner gets home, but in the end if the homeowner is happy with the results that's all that matters!

Another reason I just thought of is that brick veneer openings are fairly easily cut out to any size; dry cut diamond blades are cheap these days and longer lintels an easy retrofit for a decent mason. You could have had both the original moldings and full sized windows you wanted. I'm not being hard on your contractor- just passing along what another (hopefully better) contractor knows!

Phil